Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood postwar replacement bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwood postwar replacement bolt
    Posted: Nov 08 2021 at 10:27pm
What is the consensus on the postwar Underwood round replacement bolt with the drain hole? They seem to be among the most readily available when shopping for a NOS complete bolt and seem to be priced a little lower than others. Is this simply because there is an abundance of them compared to others and that they are postwar so don't command the price of wartime production perhaps? I read the page on bolts in the parts group section on here detailing the evolution from flat to round and the other upgrades and saw them mentioned at the end. It looks to me like it may suitable for what I'm trying to do which is "tighten up" my mixmaster shooter. While the receiver and barrel are fine, when I received this rifle the op slide, bolt and TH were pretty much used up. I replaced the worn T4 slide with a like new T5, and have an Inland NOS TH ordered that I'll complete with internals from Jay at Amherst. Was just wondering if this Underwood bolt is a sound choice for my purposes.

Thanks,
John
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2021 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by john843 john843 wrote:

Was just wondering if this Underwood bolt is a sound choice for my purposes. 

Yes, the post war Underwood bolt is a great bolt choice for a shooter. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2021 at 8:13am
+1 on the post war Underwood bolts.

Curious on your parts being "pretty much used up". Outside of outright damage... The tabs on slides can get worn out of spec but I would say it's the exception not common. For shooters I do like the type 5 or 6. It's pretty hard to wear out a trigger housing. They may wiggle some from wear but can be tightened with a punch if it bothers you (doesn't affect accuracy). Does your bolt headspace Ok? I have had like 1 over the years that would not headspace. They can look worn to snot with no finish and still be perfectly good.
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2021 at 4:45pm
Thanks Guys, got one on the way. GotSnl, "used up" was probably not the best description but the op slide's lug did indeed, look like a small button compared to the lug on the T5 that I got from a member here. You could just about derail it at will. I only shot it on one occasion with that slide. Also looked like someone may have tried to bend the arm inward a tad. I traded the slide from my NPM bring home onto it and there was MUCH less play and slop. As far as the bolt, yes it headspaced fine as did my "good bolt" in it. While it functioned fine, I noticed both lugs were worn considerably more than the lugs on the NPM bolt. That and the fact that this rifle is a pure shooter, it seemed a good idea to have the most updated components. The TH is another matter. A previous owner had filed (or ground) the top of the rear lug and applied a J-B Weld type reinforced epoxy to it. Maybe to take out the play in it or possibly try to get it to sit straight because the epoxy layer looks to be at something of an angle. Whatever the intention, when you're firing it, you still have to take up the slack in the TH before you take up the trigger itself- then it shoots great. Figured a new or like-new one, fully in spec, would be an improvement.

Thanks,
John
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2021 at 6:54pm
Yeah, sounds like it was due for some fresh parts... It's always good to have a spare bolt around anyway.

If your old slide is no good and you want to get rid of it for a few bucks, let me know I'm building a "wall hanger". I'm only using truly bad parts that can't be salvaged as it would be a shame to waste anything good.
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2021 at 8:11pm
GotSnl, check your PM.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply