The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Evansville Ordnance 30 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evansville Ordnance 30 Carbine
    Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 11:38am
Found this for $25 a box for 50 rounds. I cant find very much info on this, but what I have found is that its from WW2 and is brass cased. The purple primers are throwing me off. I guess my question is, is it good to shoot, and I dont think its corrosive as i have read that all usgi 30 carbine used non-corrosive primers. They look to be in good shape. Im sure some of you will say not to shoot it as it looks to be collectible, but I plan on not shooting it until I run out of what I have in bandoliers (if i can even ever shoot that much). finding usgi ammo for 0.50 cents a round seems like a good opportunity Open to your thoughts. 
HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 11:47am
Interesting... I'd like to know what others think about shooting this "Old" ammo as well. I also wonder how old it is?  

My Winchester Dummy Rounds box has the date "42 and Made in USA" stamped on the bottom of the box.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 12:41pm
I have some steel cased Evansville ammo that also have purple primers, may have just been the color they used. Yes you could probably shoot it, one of the characteristics from the Ordnance Department during the development of the 30 carbine cartridge was that it was required to have a noncorrosive primer. I personally would not shoot it due to collectability. If you need shooting ammo work a trade where you get more ammo in return. I will gladly give you $26 a box for itBig smile.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 12:45pm
My quality hardware will not shoot commercial ammo is the concern
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 12:53pm
I would imagine your QHMC would shoot fine with a brand of commercial ammo that has a more milspec bullet profile than that Armscor has. Besides there is lot's of Korean surplus out there that someone would gladly trade for the Evansville.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 12:58pm
Headstamps are a little different between your two examples.

The Evansville, Frankford, and some WRA examples illustrated here show purple sealer.

Now I have to ask - is it possible the '43 dated rounds are the earlier version of the case and propellant?
Should be able to measure how far from the nose before the diameter begins to increase. 

edit: I notice the Cartridge Collectors website has "Frankfort" Arsenal.
I suspect that's an error.  There was a Frankfort Arsenal in Kentucky but I beleive that was a state storage facility.   Frankford Arsenal in Philadelphia was a federal facility that did a variety of work including munitions manufacture.  When I last visited (1990s) many of the building were rented to business as well some local government agencies.

Some buildings may have been lost to 'development' but here's a 2018 real estate story on its hoped for continued use of the surviving buildings.

2011 story about the all too common treatment of Philadelphia's historic buildings and landscapes.

Edited by Matt_X - Oct 25 2021 at 1:17pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 1:12pm
I am not sure. I will have to research. Still learning terminology 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 7:02pm
This story on Chrysler's Evansville munitions production suggests there's a fair amount of info about it in archives.  Not that any of it may be easy to access or go through, especially for questions about the cartridges themselves.  But I think its always interesting know more about the manufacturers and if they still are around.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 7:34pm
That ammo is dated 1944, hence the 4 on the base. Toward the end of the war ammo was dated using only the last digit of the year of manufacture. BTW, before declaring it to be brass case ammo, try using a magnet on it. AFAIK, Evansville only produced steel case ammo. Some of it does have a brassy color to it.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 7:45pm
After I zoomed in on the picture I saw that it had just the number 4 and I realized that did stand for 1944. Great idea on the magnet test!
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 8:25pm
Poking around a little more found Chrysler's month by month production.
Only one or two months of .30 Carbine production before the new - final cartridge case was implemented. 
from here.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

AFAIK, Evansville only produced steel case ammo. Some of it does have a brassy color to it.

Don't think Evansville only made steel case ammo. The boxes of Evansville ammo that is steel case is marked "Steel Case Ammunition" and the Lot # would start with a "S". (a steel case box is pictured in WBIII, page 1404)
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 8:52pm
I reckon I need to get me a copy of WBIII. 

And thank goodness. If I wanted steel ammo I woulda bought Tula LOLLOL

Update, Nevermind. I am to poor to buy WB! Those pages must be made of gold or from John Basilones TP
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2021 at 11:16pm
thanks Matt, that is very interesting a cool to know. It seems the war brought out the best of America 
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 1:11am
Boxes like the OP shows are on display at the Evansville Wartime Museum. OP, please don't shoot the ones you own, as they are rare and very collectible. Sell them to those that will preserve them.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 9:52am
yep I am not gonna shoot them unless I somehow shoot through the rounds I have and can’t find anymore (doubt it’s possible. Id be even poorer than I am now)
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 9:53am
I would be willing to consider a trade a box for some Lake city or Korean surplus I could shoot . I’m gonna keep a couple boxes for my self to display however 
 Post Reply Post Reply