Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

QHMC ~9/43

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2022 at 11:13pm
I learn something new everyday! I knew the wood looked different but didn’t know there was a name for it 
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2022 at 8:58am
Plunk test?  What's that and what does it tell me?
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2022 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

Sawbones, I think the "plunk test" is simply dropping a round
manually straight down into the chamber to see if it drops and seats into it
without any assistance.

John
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2022 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by john843 john843 wrote:

Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

Sawbones, I think the "plunk test" is simply dropping a round
manually straight down into the chamber to see if it drops and seats into it
without any assistance.

John

Yep….the term has been around for a long time. Drop-in a round and see how it lands in the chamber. You can also tell a little bit about how a barrel might head space….how deep or how high the rim sits.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2022 at 10:36pm
Yep, FTC told me what the plunk test was. That simple test told me a lot about what bullet profiles a carbine did/didn’t like. 

I find it interesting that my only picky carbine, a QHMC, is also the same manufacturer as Sawbones Carbine, which he states also doesn’t like commercial ammo’s different bullet ogive When compared to milsurp
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2022 at 9:13am
Collector is one thing shooter is another. A shooter….maybe chase the chamber with a finish reamer to make it shoot whatever commercial is on the shelf. Of course one can reload to make it work, but not much bothers me as much as a gun that won’t shoot ammo that’s made for it. “Chase” is a touch and it doesn’t take much. Could be the fault of the ammo, but by far most carbines will chamber and shoot whatever is on the shelf.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2022 at 4:22pm
Rebel92 sent me an assortment of cartridges to run thru my Chrony.  All the milsurp rounds fed beautifuly w/ no hang-ups.  The non-milsurp rounds were loaded w/ copper plate projectiles seated in low 1.670s".  100% of the non-milsurps mis-fed in my QHMC so  I seated the bullets to ~ 1.660 and still 100% misfeeds.  Close inspection (w/ magnification) of the seated copper plate projectiles revealed NO ogive.  I pulled the bullet, inspected w/ magnification to find the ogive on that copper plated bullet was 1/3 the the buulet length up from the base whereas milsurp and other non-milsurp bullets the ogive is 2/3 up length from the base of the bullet.  Me thinks the ogive being so close to the base of copper plate bullet is by design to be seated at the max SAAMI length of 1.680" instead of the typical milsurp of 1.660" give or take a3-4 thousandths either direction.  Am I crazy?
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2022 at 7:26pm
My carbines eat those x-tremes like corn going thru a goose and I don’t get real scientific about the seating depth. Ethan will surely sign in here soon, but he shoots a lot of them also, but I don’t know which carbine he shoots the most. I have not seen any comments concerning issues with those projectiles. 

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2022 at 7:38pm
Floyd is correct, my carbines do fine with the xtreme projectiles (with the baby ogive) but my QHMC WILL NOT CHAMBER Armscor, or even the Bayou Bullet profile. It doesn’t like the fat ogives. I guess it’s a “fat shamer” and only likes them skinny LOL. But yes, the xtreme projectile profiles seem to work wel in all mine. And I seat them less than 1.678, usually closer to 1.67 even 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2022 at 1:38pm
I just noticed, I think I was wrong when I said "9/43" production. It was slightly earlier right? 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2022 at 2:58pm
Maybe a couple months earlier.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2022 at 5:17pm
Thanks Wayne. I knew it wasnt much, but was just looking at the estimated serial number production dates somewhere else online and saw QHMC's made in September would have been in the 4 mil serial number block.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2022 at 7:24pm
Sorry I was lazy. Jus took my safety and mag catch out. Data sheet needs updating. Safety IS marked. “Q-NL”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12