The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Carbine, New issue (to me)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Basically I believe they found the later profile case should work in all carbines, but earlier cases would have malfunctions in later carbines.

Armscor would be of the later design….I assume. Just guessing here and assuming no commercial manufacturers were producing ammo at that time, thus all commercial ammo would be of the later design and should fit either chamber? I think this is a case of the Armscor bullet profile just not liking the chamber in this carbine. It being a very little-fired and fresh chamber, the crisp rifling in the throat is grabbing it. I bet after some firing and wear, won’t be a problem at all.

Any .30 carbine ammo made after the specification change should have been to new standards.
Ordnance was reaching out to all ammo manufacturers for propellant and primer types to fine tune the .30 carbine.

Fast forward to today, manufacturing has changed and are the commercial manufacturers holding tolerances or making their product "good enough?"

I would default to you on what ammo is better digested than other ammo companies
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2021 at 10:53am

manufacturing has changed and are the commercial manufacturers holding tolerances or making their product "good enough?"

That's for sure. Armscor on the right. I personally have never had issues with it and it feeds and bangs in anything I shoot, but it's obvious the profile differs. I have noticed they seem to seat the bullets a little deeper, closer to 1.65-.66 on average.

Edited by floydthecat - Oct 22 2021 at 11:18am
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2021 at 11:34am
I hate to belabor the point, but old bored people like me have to pass the time of day doing something. I have looked again at the thread concerning the chamber/ammo revision. One thing they did was to reduce the lead in the chamber, the space between the case-mouth and the rifling. This would in effect require a different taper of the projectile in order for the bullet nose not to solidly contact the rifling. It almost seems like the Armscor was designed with the old chamber in mind?  
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2021 at 11:47am
My 2 bits, if the OP can find any of the Korean surplus in stock try that. 2nd choice would be trying S&B, I've never had any trouble with that any carbine I've run it on. I've even been saving a case of 500 of that to use to break in a new Fulton Armory carbine I have on order due soon 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2021 at 12:27pm
Don, the OP has Korean surplus ammo which he has stated works fine, he is only having his issues with the Armscor.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Don, the OP has Korean surplus ammo which he has stated works fine, he is only having his issues with the Armscor.

Opps, missed that. Strange then, I've run 1000's of rounds of Armscor the past couple years (I found a deal on it before the current panic) and the only carbine it gave me issues with was my Plainfield before I swapped springs in the bolt
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2021 at 6:00pm
Thanks everyone. I think I got it remedied (just by feeding it mil-surp). Have only had a chance to dry cycle the ammo, haven’t been able to send any turtles to their meet their maker yet but will one day this week
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

A slight aside.  I bought dummy rounds (aka snap caps) to cycle and dry fire practice (has a rubber primer).  After a number of cycles the bullets started to  get pulled out.  I noticed it first when they didn't easily load and unload from the magazine.  Being empty cartidges I just squeezed them back in with a vise.  Obviously or maybe not so obviously don't do that with a live round.

My points are that its not unusual for the bullet to get yanked a little when cycled without firing. 
And if you want rounds for cycling there are people out there selling dymmy rounds and snap caps.
The dummy rounds made for the US Military may be more durable ???? in terms of cycling without pulling apart.  

Matt, where do you find snap caps/ dummies for the carbine? Locally, or is there a dealer on line?

BTW, this was a great thread. It is amazing how much I have learned since I first posted this. Never thought I would know as much (but not even close to knowing half as much as most folks on this forum) as I do now though. Thanks Everyone!
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

manufacturing has changed and are the commercial manufacturers holding tolerances or making their product "good enough?"

That's for sure. Armscor on the right. I personally have never had issues with it and it feeds and bangs in anything I shoot, but it's obvious the profile differs. I have noticed they seem to seat the bullets a little deeper, closer to 1.65-.66 on average.

What kind of a bullet is on the left? 
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 6:22pm
Hey Rebel 92: 
Have you put the calipers to live rounds measuring 1) at the very base of the cartridge, 2) at mid body of the cartridge then 3) at the mouth of the brass comparing your a) Evansville 1944, b) Korean 1972 (and any other MILSURP stuff) and c) the AMSCOR loads?
Further, have you looked to see if any of the rounds show rifling marks on the bullets after the plunk test?

I understand that may be a tedious time-consuming project but right now it's Miller Time and is an excellent excuse to pop-a-top on a few brewskies.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 8:19pm
The vender I bought from on ebay is no longer listed.
I think probably a guy just making them on his own.

If you're hand loading I think the only trick is to find a suitable material for the primers.  Maybe go through McMaster-Carr looking at 1/4 inch? sheets of rubber as well if there is rubber extruded in the right diameter.  Might be easier to slice a dowel than punch the sheets.   Cyano-acrylate (sp?)  best known as Krazyglue ought to be a good adhesive for rubber to metal. 

Doing a little googling there is a business in Ariz  making .30 carbine dummy rounds with a rubber primer.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 9:56pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 10:19pm
The brand A-Zoom makes them as well
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

30 CARBINE SNAP CAPS SET OF 5 (Safety Red) | eBay
Thanks, got em ordered! So I can cycle these and they won’t pull apart?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

So I can cycle these and they won’t pull apart?

Ethan, I have no experience with them, I just saw that you and Matt were discussing them and remembered seeing them on ebay. Hopefully they don't pull apart.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 8:43am
Home made snap cap:
Using a sized case:  Mix a small amount of epoxy glue or maybe some J-B Weld, then, using a cotton swab smear some inside the mouth of the brass, seat the bullet in the usual fashion.
Fill the primer pocket w/ silicone sealant; smooth flush w/ tip of finger.
Let the above 'set' or 'cure' and ya have a really inexpensive snap cap. 
Works for me!
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 9:57pm
For what it's worth, the A zoom brand can't pull apart because it's made out of one piece hard anodized aluminum and even though I haven't measured one, it's supposed to be exact dimensions. I have used them in other calibers hundreds and hundreds of times with no problems.hth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345