Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buttplate ID Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buttplate ID Help
    Posted: Oct 02 2021 at 5:08pm
Could use some assistance confirming that this Buttplate is in fact an Underwood diagonal Buttplate. 

I looked at the Forums Parts-Stock-Buttplate section and also War Baby Vol 1 and it "kinda" looks like the Underwoods that are shown there but the bottom two buttons at 6 O'clock have the line like a smiley face on top of them and it just looks different... And the very bottom of the buttplates buttons look different as well... Is the just a manufacturing / machining difference?

Its definitely not an Inland Diagonal buttplate. 
Did any other manufacturers make a Diagonal patter other than Inland and Underwood? 

For comparison heres the Underwood Buttplate pic from Parts-Stock-Buttplates section;

HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2021 at 10:25pm
After consulting with Marcus Rust and looking at a number of his Underwood diagonal buttplates, the Buttplate on my Replacement Underwood stock definetly looks like the diagonal Underwoods on his. They all have the 20 dot diagonal row pattern as compared to the 16 dots row on an Inland. 

I was just thrown of a bit by the diagonal Underwood buttplate picture thats posted on the Forum due to how its Screw Hole 6 O'Clock dots look vs mine, and also its definitely different looking dots pattern at the bottom end of the Buttplate Shocked

One of our brother Forum members just also made me aware of a current eBay listing where the seller is offering used "Early Inland" Diagonal Buttplates for sale but they actually have the 20 dot Underwood pattern :-)
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 12:40pm
There's minor but noticeable Dot pattern differences between these two Underwood diagonal buttplates and I'm wondering;
1. If one may be an earlier version of the other?
2. Is it a production machine metal stamp wearing out over time after making several hundred thousand of them?

Look at the different Dot placements around the screw hole (especially 6 O'Clock), at the Top and at the Bottom Dot patterns, and even around the outer edges of the Dot patterns. 

Here's pics of outside and inside of mine and the one shown on CCC Forum, and also pics of ones that Marcus Rust and Durango56 shared with me last night and this morning.  

Marcus buttplate (on the right side) is on his very early 1.356M Underwood and it looks like mine, while Durango56's (on the left side) looks like the one on the CCC Forum.

Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 1:45pm
Very interesting! I have a first block Underwood (1.4 mil serial range), and it also has a butt plate that matches the photo on the right. All the other components on the rifle are ".U." marked and correct for the rifle, so I was a little baffled as to why the pattern on the butt plate didn't seem to look like any of the others I had seen online. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.

Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 3:28pm
Yes, yours looks exactly like my early underwood Buttplate, And ours do look a little different from the other ones shown as being underwood. May just be a slight modification change from earlier to later, or it may just be that the machining’s for making them was wearing out. :-)
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 9:21pm
Well, I'm glad I came across this post... I was just about to initiate the search for a "correct" Underwood buttplate!
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
 Post Reply Post Reply