The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with operating Slide not dropping out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with operating Slide not dropping out
    Posted: Oct 02 2021 at 1:11pm
The operating slide on this carbine isn't dropping freely through the notch for removal.
It will start into the notch but won't drop through.
Once it starts into the notch I can't rotate it.

This is a midway Underwood.  I'll have a report after I get it disassembled.
I tried tapping with a rubber mallet but it wouldn't rotate.
So I'm looking for some advice, guidance or pointers.  Thanks.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2021 at 1:45pm
Does it look like the Op Slide arm is bent? How about the barrel index marks? My IP was the same way when I got it, it was a SOB to get the slide off and worse trying to get it back together, tried a different slide it it went back together just fine, tried the slide that came with it on a different carbine and it worked just fine. For some reason that particular slide just did not fit right on that particular carbine, never really figured out why.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2021 at 2:07pm
The arm is tight to the rail.  Thanks a little help on the side, I was encouraged to try to get the arm out its rear notch. Even though it was rubbing I was able to then push the slide forward until it dropped through its notch.

My SG comes apart very freely so I didn't really have the sequence down or the courage to push it when it was tight. 

Interesting. The slide is stamped W.  So maybe not original to the reciever and barrel.
The stock is from another carbine, possibly a Winchester, and has a remnants of a rack number - a European 7.   Not much left of the inspector's stamp but the GHD can be made out.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2021 at 7:29pm
Sometimes, you just have to hold your mouth right. I have had ‘em tight and then some that practically fall-off.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2021 at 9:24pm
After a thorough cleaning, and it needed that, and light oiling its snug but much smoother.  Hardly any force is now needed.  I also paid close attention to how the slide installs to the receiver and bolt  a few times looking at exactly how the front and rear slide lugs go in and out. 

The action on this carbine is actually really nice now.  Hopefully it shoots well.

JohnnyDollar View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2021 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

After a thorough cleaning, and it needed that, and light oiling its snug but much smoother.  Hardly any force is now needed.  I also paid close attention to how the slide installs to the receiver and bolt  a few times looking at exactly how the front and rear slide lugs go in and out. 

The action on this carbine is actually really nice now.  Hopefully it shoots well.
Glad you got it sorted out. 

I look forward to your range report. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply