Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Erma .22 M-1 Carbine/thoughts on Carbine Prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Erma .22 M-1 Carbine/thoughts on Carbine Prices
    Posted: Sep 11 2021 at 3:44pm

Picked this up at the OGCA show today, $295 with 1 mag (now I start hunting for more of those).

One of these is actually the 1st gun I ever fired back in the day. I've thought about getting one for years but never seen 1 when I was in the mood to buy 1.

I had a beater FEG Hi Power I'd lost interest in that I sold, so I broke even for the day.

Haven't shot it yet and will get more pictures if people want. I need clean it 1st, thank God we've got something on the info page. You know what I'm doing tonite Big smile

Real M1 Carbine prices at the show SUCKED today. Everyone was asking $18-2500 for stuff that a few months ago was priced $1300ish. I saw 1 RTI carbine the guy was asking $1800. The worst was a IP I think the guy wanted $6K for with a barrel that gauged "1.3" (I always bring my gauge) 

I hope prices come down, I've never seen them this high real time. 
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2021 at 4:27pm
DonFlynn,

I intended to be at OGCA this morning, but I ended up not being able to at the last minute.

Congratulations on acquiring an Erma M-1 at a good price.

Numrich has the magazines. If you go to Knob Creek next month, they will probably have them at their tables.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by David Albert David Albert wrote:

DonFlynn,

I intended to be at OGCA this morning, but I ended up not being able to at the last minute.

Congratulations on acquiring an Erma M-1 at a good price.

Numrich has the magazines. If you go to Knob Creek next month, they will probably have them at their tables.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Damn, would have been cool to hook up.

I'm glad Numrich has the mags, cause I think the spring on this one is shot. I cleaned it up ( Dead , now I know why no one cleans these damns things) and tried running 100 rounds at my local indoor range.

It would NOT feed a round into the chamber, it kept doing this

This is what the mag looks like inserted no rounds

The spring also feels very weak. I'll try 1 new mag from Numrich for now ($68 bucks....ouch) before I panic on this.

It looks like the round has to be at the right angle to chamber. Had I known this I wouldn't have bought it, at least I'm only out 1 new mag for now. If that works I'll snag another in a few weeks. 

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 5:35pm
Now aren't you glad I told you to go back and buy the darn thing! BTW, the 03 that I bought is a gem. All correct markings on both the metal and the stock! Looks to be all original. I also went to the Medina Ohio show today. Prices of the carbines were right about where they should have been. Least expensive was an arsenal rebuilt Inland at $1100. Most expensive was a late Winchester that may have been all correct for $1895. There was also an arsenal rebuilt M1A1 with a stock that to me looked correct, for $3200. No real price gouging at that show.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Now aren't you glad I told you to go back and buy the darn thing! BTW, the 03 that I bought is a gem. All correct markings on both the metal and the stock! Looks to be all original. I also went to the Medina Ohio show today. Prices of the carbines were right about where they should have been. Least expensive was an arsenal rebuilt Inland at $1100. Most expensive was a late Winchester that may have been all correct for $1895. There was also an arsenal rebuilt M1A1 with a stock that to me looked correct, for $3200. No real price gouging at that show.

I'm glad you bought that 03, I was eyeing the ATM and telling myself Raman noodles are tasty Big smile .

Sounds like the Medina show had normal Carbine prices, yesterday scared me. I swear that RTI marked one the guy wanted $1800 for had goat teeth marks on the stock Big smile

I still kind of want to find 1 more all USGI Carbine just to have it before I commit to 03's and a Garand.

I'll get the Erma figured out. I do know as I was cleaning it yesterday the phrase "Fine German Engineering my ass" kept going through my mind Big smile 

If I can't make the November show I'll pm you, get your snail mail for that spent brass I mentioned. I have no clue if work will have us on OT that far ahead.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 5:56pm
I am the last guy that would ever suggest grinding on such a rare piece, but it is a 22 and relieving the chamber below the bullet won’t hurt anything.  Looks like the nose is butting the breech face. That area could be polished out a bit to create a slight feed-ramp. Maybe try another bullet profile like a TC? The nose might jump over the hump. Looks like the nose of the round is not setting high enough. 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I am the last guy that would ever suggest grinding on such a rare piece, but it is a 22 and relieving the chamber below the bullet won’t hurt anything.  Looks like the nose is butting the breech face. That area could be polished out a bit to create a slight feed-ramp. Maybe try another bullet profile like a TC? The nose might jump over the hump. Looks like the nose of the round is not setting high enough. 

You've mentioned Plans B and C. I'm hoping not to have to grind any but if I need to I'll have a smith do it.

I know the gun is clean (one of the issues these had from what I read), that's 2 hours of my life cussing and crawling on my knees looking for 1 part I'll never get back Censored  

I'm hoping I can use my current stash of .22 though, I nailed 6500 rounds dirt cheap when Wallyworld down the street blew it out cheap. I damn near bought a Chippa M1 .22 clone because Ruger 10/22's are boring as hell and I like shooting rifles in warm weather
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

because Ruger 10/22's are boring as hell and I like shooting rifles in warm weather

I love my 10/22's, don't find anything boring about a gun that shoots accurately every time I pull the trigger. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 6:44pm
I’ve been eyeing a 10/22 in a carbine stock myself, but I have a 9mm that I reload pretty cheaply for and a stash of $9 a box ammo I put away long before the recent crisis. 

The very last thing I ever want to do is fool with a chamber face. I have a Glock 22 conversion on a model 17 that simply does not like some profiles. I see where the nose hangs on the breech and I could fix it, but would rather just shop for ammo it will shoot. I have a generous stash of 22 myself that it does shoot.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

because Ruger 10/22's are boring as hell and I like shooting rifles in warm weather

I love my 10/22's, don't find anything boring about a gun that shoots accurately every time I pull the trigger. 

Believe it or not I've only owned a 10/22 for a couple years. I picked one up used for $100 bucks from a friend.

Biggest issue is the rear sight needed replacing, and he lost the rail that came with it for mounting red dots. I fixed the former but still need to find a rail so I can mount a red dot. 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I’ve been eyeing a 10/22 in a carbine stock myself, but I have a 9mm that I reload pretty cheaply for and a stash of $9 a box ammo I put away long before the recent crisis. 

The very last thing I ever want to do is fool with a chamber face. I have a Glock 22 conversion on a model 17 that simply does not like some profiles. I see where the nose hangs on the breech and I could fix it, but would rather just shop for ammo it will shoot. I have a generous stash of 22 myself that it does shoot.

I've been eyeing those carbine stocked ones myself, I like the sights better and figure I could move the trigger group from my current 10/22 over (I did some upgrades on it).
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 7:31pm
Don, I would try spreading the forward edge of the mag lips a tiny bit to improve the feeding. They look like they may be holding the front of the cartridge just a bit low. That is a common enough problem with .22 mags. 
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 9:18pm
DonFlynn,

Before you go grinding on anything, please consider that it is very easy to assemble these Erma M1's incorrectly. That may be what you are dealing with. I don't recall the exact symptoms with mine, but what you mention seems familiar to me, and mine had been assembled incorrectly by the previous owner. I spent almost 2 hours trying to assemble it, and finally got it right. I do not plan to completely disassemble mine again.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 9:42pm

DonFlynn,

Before you go grinding on anything, please consider that it is very easy to assemble these Erma M1's incorrectly. That may be what you are dealing with. I don't recall the exact symptoms with mine, but what you mention seems familiar to me, and mine had been assembled incorrectly by the previous owner. I spent almost 2 hours trying to assemble it, and finally got it right. I do not plan to completely disassemble mine again.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I'll try taking it apart again next weekend. I only took the receiver down, the 1 pin that needed drifting on the trigger group was so small I didn't want to chance it.

I've decided the same as you, I get it cleaned from 40 years of gunk and running again I'll clean the upper group and leave the trigger group alone.

You would think someone would make a modern .22 M1 Carbine that felt like this but used the Chiappa operating system. I've seen those and they seem cheaply made but closer to a M1 Carbine than this  
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 10:55pm

Don, I would try spreading the forward edge of the mag lips a tiny bit to improve the feeding. They look like they may be holding the front of the cartridge just a bit low. That is a common enough problem with .22 mags. 

This is exactly one of the things I thought when I saw the photo of the cartridge butted up against the barrel. Just slightly open the feed lips of the magazine. The other was put upward pressure on the magazine and see if it pushes up, thereby more closely centering the round to the chamber. This could be caused by a worn magazine catch or by the notch in the magazine body cut too high.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

This is exactly one of the things I thought when I saw the photo of the cartridge butted up against the barrel. Just slightly open the feed lips of the magazine. The other was put upward pressure on the magazine and see if it pushes up, thereby more closely centering the round to the chamber. This could be caused by a worn magazine catch or by the notch in the magazine body cut too high.

I thought about opening the lips up but want to wait and see what the new mag looks like 1st. I hope it ain't a worn mag catch, because I doubt I can find a replacement
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2021 at 9:07pm

DonFlynn,

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I'll try taking it apart again next weekend. I only took the receiver down, the 1 pin that needed drifting on the trigger group was so small I didn't want to chance it.

I've decided the same as you, I get it cleaned from 40 years of gunk and running again I'll clean the upper group and leave the trigger group alone.

You would think someone would make a modern .22 M1 Carbine that felt like this but used the Chiappa operating system. I've seen those and they seem cheaply made but closer to a M1 Carbine than this  

It was the upper assembly that was not assembled correctly on mine. Does your bolt freely move, with no binding whatsoever in its operation?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2021 at 9:22am

DonFlynn,

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

It was the upper assembly that was not assembled correctly on mine. Does your bolt freely move, with no binding whatsoever in its operation?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

There is a slight binding feel when I cock it. I got the new mag yesterday and same problem, I'm going to strip it down again this weekend and see what happens.

Worst case I know a old school gun smith who I'll take it too just to play it safe 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2021 at 10:09pm
I will bet that it was reassembled incorrectly. It's very easy to do. The individual who sold me mine thought it had major problems, and sold it as a parts gun, but it turned out to be reassembled incorrectly, and worked fine once the assembly error was corrected.   

I just put 4 magazines through it yesterday at a shoot that I attended, and I enjoy shooting it whenever I have the chance.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2021 at 10:28pm

I will bet that it was reassembled incorrectly. It's very easy to do. The individual who sold me mine thought it had major problems, and sold it as a parts gun, but it turned out to be reassembled incorrectly, and worked fine once the assembly error was corrected.   

I just put 4 magazines through it yesterday at a shoot that I attended, and I enjoy shooting it whenever I have the chance.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I saw you post on that while I was looking in the sales forum  for giggles (down the road I thinking of trying a Carbine build, I've a 6/44 Inland barrel in nice shape and a post war USGI bolt laying around....parts tend to turn into guns my house Big smile)

I'm going to have a smith look it over, maybe I'm missing something when I cleaned it last week. I'm like you, I've wanted one of these for years and this is the 1st 1 I've seen in years. It's worth it to me to spend a couple bucks getting it running. I love shooting Carbines but keep looking at my dwindling stash of .30 Carbine and keep reminding myself I've 4K of .22 laying around.  
 Post Reply Post Reply