Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on stock stamping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on stock stamping
    Posted: Sep 08 2021 at 10:11pm
I started a thread concerning my 4.26 NPM bring-home back on Feb. 9th of this year (page 9 of General Discussion topics list- 'Couple of questions on my NPM"). After sorting thru some initial confusion on when the veteran arrived in and left Belgium, we determined he arrived in early-mid '46 and the rifle left Europe in Spring '47. I have managed to answer just about every question I've had about it- except one: the left side of the stock is stamped AOY, just forward the wrist. The A and the O look uniform but the Y is stamped more lightly and look's "added"
In the thread mentioned above on the 9th page of Gen. Discussion topics there is a clear pic of the stamping. I didn't want to revive that old a thread but if some one could refer to it and has an idea what the AOY represents, I'd really appreciate it. I thought possibly "Army Ordinance"? for the AO but that still leaves the Y. I've looked everywhere, keeping in mind the admonition to google and find out for yourself before asking but I'm out of options on where to look. It stands for something and am hoping someone will know what it means.
The rifle has an adj. rear sight and is in an Inland stock which is exactly how it was configured when he received it. Whatever was done to it occurred between manufacture and early '47. Just don't know where and by whom.

Thanks,
John
 Post Reply Post Reply