Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Value Question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Value Question?
    Posted: Sep 05 2021 at 4:03pm
Hope I’m not violating any rules here, but on another forum I watch, a Winchester M1 Carbine is listed for sale.  I’d like to pick your brains as to how good (or bad) a price this is?

Listing price is $1800, firm, shipping included. The details listed are below, appreciate your thoughts on the price. Pictures are not good on that site, but the rifle appears to be in good condition.

Seems a bit high, since the bolt, maybe trigger and sear, and almost certainly the barrel band are incorrect for this rifle, but I’m certainly no expert on the subject.

“WW2 U.S. GI issue Winchester M1 Carbine, Serial number 547447XX.  Everything about this looks to be correct, original, and proper Winchester, except the bolt which is an X marked Underwood bolt. The X marked bolts were made to very exacting standards and tolerances.

No import marks, this is an excellent condition rifle.  Trigger housing and hammer are W marked, I don't know what the sear or trigger are. The operating slide is also W marked and is the late pattern.  Barrel band with bayonet lug is Q marked. Stock and handguard are correct type and are W marked, stock has correct ordnance cartouche on the right side.  It comes with an original BW marked Winchester 15 round magazine, and a mint unissued 1944 dated sling”.
Danny Fowler, NCCS, USN (Retired)
NRA Life Member

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2021 at 4:52pm
the experts on this forum would certainly need to see pictures of everything, especially the stampings on the stock
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2021 at 5:42pm
Here are a few pictures, not great resolution.

Danny Fowler, NCCS, USN (Retired)
NRA Life Member

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it.
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2021 at 10:34pm
There is information on the parent site of this forum about "x"-marked round bolts.  IIRC, the x indicates that the bolt was not made with the dimensional changes to the bolt's rear skirt and possibly to its right lug.  Non-x bolts had these changes.  

The seller is saying something totally different.  
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2021 at 9:20am
I have never seen an X marked Underwood bolt. I would love to see pictures of that.

Were those all the pictures?
If you like PM me a link and I will take a look at it for you
 Post Reply Post Reply