Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester M1 - Real Deal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnts4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester M1 - Real Deal?
    Posted: Aug 31 2021 at 1:56pm
Greetings,
Newbie here with my first post. I've owned what appears to be a Winchester M1 Carbine for close to 35 years. I've spent enough time reading on this site to know that things are not always as they appear. I would like to hope  that 35 years ago counterfeit parts and fake stamping were not as prevalent as they are today, but I just don't know. My Carbine looks to be  in very good shape; but almost "too good". It runs flawlessly but there are few to no markings on the metal pieces and absolutely no markings on the stock.

I would like to post some pictures and ask for folks with informed opinions to let me know what I actually have here. However, I wanted to make sure it was appropriate to do so before proceeding. This site is an incredible resource, and its members are dedicated to collecting and disseminating the most accurate information possible. I am thinking of selling this carbine and I do not want to misrepresent it if I can possibly avoid that.

Please advise on how I should proceed.
Thank You
Matt
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2021 at 2:12pm
The only way to know is for you to post pictures of all the parts. Where did you get it? Is it import marked anyplace?.

New members are encouraged to post pictures and ask questions. Without them sites like this die
hnts4fun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnts4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2021 at 2:47pm
Here goes...This is a wonderful rifle to own, carry and shoot; I just don't think most of it has ever been anywhere near a battlefield. I'm a retired LEO and I bought this carbine in the late 80's from a co worker who was also our Dept. Armorer. When I first acquired it, I took it out into the desert and had fun kicking up jackrabbits and even managed to kill a few. I cleaned it and put it away until about a week ago. I know nothing about this rifle except that it does have a clearly visible serial number: 1115XXX. I can also see enough letters on each side of and under the rear sight to make out the word Winchester.

hnts4fun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnts4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2021 at 8:58pm
I have seen the terms "counterfeit" and "fake" used on this site to describe some parts used to rebuild carbines. Can anyone tell me if there are any such parts on my rifle or it looks to be the genuine article? Thank you for any information you are able to pass on.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2021 at 9:59pm
Not sure what you mean by "genuine article" since your carbine is comprised of a mix of parts from various manufacturers, that along with the bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight are a sign that it went through a rebuild.  As far as "counterfeit" goes, your safety and magazine catch may need a closer look.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2021 at 10:22pm
I'm gonna vote the "EW" push safety is USGI, lot of em have faint marks but this one is well struck. Font appears correct. The mag catch, need better pics with the face.
Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2021 at 10:26pm
Are the quotation marks okay?
GSMC(SW),USN
2/77-11/89
hnts4fun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hnts4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2021 at 11:15pm
Thank you very much. I will try to get better pics if the magazine catch face.
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2021 at 3:32pm
not too far from the first carbine I ever bought, a Winchester S/N 1114xxx. That is a Winchester carbine with various parts in it from a rearsenal sometime in its past. The “EW” looks good, I’ll looks at the couple I have that I know are authentic and compare the photos to mine, if that magazine catch is authentic that’s a nice one
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2021 at 5:36pm
I know little to nothing about what’s repro and what’s real, but that is a sweet looking Winchester,

Mine is 11530XX, so it looks like it may be fairly close to yours. From spreadsheet reading, mine is about July 1943. Going by that I would assume yours should have a Type I or II band, and likely only 2 holes in the handguard, but not certain, like mine I’m sure the rear sight has been replaced also.

Mine is a mixmaster, but like yours still a Winchester, and that’s all good in my book, congratulations!
Danny Fowler, NCCS, USN (Retired)
NRA Life Member

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it.
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2021 at 5:38pm
Sorry, I misread your serial number, just noticed yours is 1115, and not 115, my mistake. The minds eye sees what it wants to see sometimes. 😁
Danny Fowler, NCCS, USN (Retired)
NRA Life Member

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it.
hnts4fun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnts4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2021 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

I'm gonna vote the "EW" push safety is USGI, lot of em have faint marks but this one is well struck. Font appears correct. The mag catch, need better pics with the face.

090321 - Additional photos of magazine catch.

Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2021 at 9:26pm
I just compared the photo of your safety to the 3 "EW" safeties I have and the font and size match the best I can tell.
hnts4fun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnts4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2021 at 12:33am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "genuine article" since your carbine is comprised of a mix of parts from various manufacturers, that along with the bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight are a sign that it went through a rebuild.  As far as "counterfeit" goes, your safety and magazine catch may need a closer look.

This post, and others, provided me with the information I was looking for. I didn't know how to describe what I had beyond it being a good looking Winchester Carbine that was fun to shoot. I've been shooting since I was a kid, and buying and selling guns for years. I had spent just enough time on this site to learn that I didn't want to misrepresent this Carbine if I list it for sale. I have since learned that these guns, and the folks who went to war with them, have a rich history; and that they are built to keep running despite having been originally built over 70 years ago. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge!
 Post Reply Post Reply