Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dutch M1 info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Noordbruis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dutch M1 info
    Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 1:07pm
I own a .30 M1 carbine serial number 4.841.551. Maker is Quality Hardware. I would like to have more information on this carbine, history, etc. Thank you.

Dirk Noordbruis

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 1:43pm
Dirk, need to see some pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Dirk Noordbruis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dirk Noordbruis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 2:21pm
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Later this week i will post some pictures.

Dirk
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Noordbruis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2021 at 5:33am
Sorry, i tried to upload pictures in this forum, it didnt work. So i send the pictures in private mail.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Dirk Noordbruis Dirk Noordbruis wrote:

Sorry, i tried to upload pictures in this forum, it didnt work. So i send the pictures in private mail.

Pics are probably too large and need to be reduced or cropped.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Noordbruis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2021 at 11:34am
Thanks, will try later
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2021 at 5:31am
Hi Dirk,
I'm also from NL, based on this list http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/ProductionGraph.aspx
your cabine was made somewhere between sept. 43-may 44.
Can you upload some pictures (not too big, since the forum doesn't accept that).
In which part of NL do you live? I live in the mid-south, close to the Belgian border.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2021 at 8:42am
Originally posted by patrickduis patrickduis wrote:

Hi Dirk,
I'm also from NL, based on this list http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/ProductionGraph.aspx
your cabine was made somewhere between sept. 43-may 44.

Good effort, but I think we can narrow it down better

It is an interesting chart, but it is riff with errors. Given it source it was compiled before better information was discovered.

The last deliveries from QHMC were in April of 1944, then how could it have been produced as late as May 1944 which is a month later?

We posted a chart of serial numbers to look for and report
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/serial-numbers-to-look-for-and-report_topic1292.html?FID=4&PR=3
you will see that we have not seen any QHMC serial numbers after 4853095. This is because the contract was terminated and these serial numbers may not have been used.

Jack P took on the arduous task of compiling serial numbers of carbines and their barrel dates.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/m1-carbine-serial-number-spread-sheets_topic5249.html

Looking at the spreadsheets in that post we see the closest to Dirk's 4.84 is a 4.83 with a 3-44 barrel followed by a "Carbine of the Month" 4.84 which has an undated Winchester barrel.
Checking CCNL 334-3 we see that QHMC used barrels in that serial range  dated 1-44 to 3-44 as well as Winchester undated, which is the most common, and IBM undated which was least frequently reported.

I would say that carbine depending on the barrel was delivered between February and April 1944.

Now we need some pictures and parts markings.

Edited by New2brass - Sep 03 2021 at 10:57am
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2021 at 8:53am
Thanks for the extra detailed info. Can you please check the links to Jack P because they don't seem to work here in NL...
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2021 at 10:38am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Noordbruis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2021 at 3:09pm
Thanks for helping finding info on my M1 carbine. Pictures of part markings coming soon.
  I live in the north ( Friesland )
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Noordbruis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 4:56am
with a better research, i think the serial nr is 4.811.551 and not 4.841.155 , it is hard to see because it is damaged. The other markings i found on the carbine are :

Trigger housing group : BE-B
Sight : I.R.CO , T150060. 1 could be I , is hard to see.
Barrel : N on top. 
Stock : BR-B
Barrel band : J.M.O

Some other parts have markings, i cant make out what they are.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 5:55am
Hi Dirk,
Please put foto's of the markings and the .30M1 here, there is a lot of knowledge in this forum and anything helps. You need to make it.

Often, the ordnance markings (crossed cannons) are quite shallow). 
 Post Reply Post Reply