The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did South Korea use chu (aka catalpa) wood?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did South Korea use chu (aka catalpa) wood?
    Posted: Aug 04 2021 at 4:11pm
I'm looking at a second block Underwood mixmaster carbine for sale.  It has an unmarked M2 potbelly stock on it.  The wood's grain has some similarities with Chinese AK and SKS wood.  Sure does not look like walnut.  

There is a big problem with the wood under the ALCO-marked T3 band, basically there is not enough of it to allow the band to be tight.  It can be wiggled around, much, even when fully tightened.  No worries on the band, it allows a good fit on an Italian FAG Circle K stock.  

Just wondering if the Koreans made their own replacement stocks, maybe out of Chu wood.  
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2021 at 4:15pm
Forgot to say earlier, I believe this gun to be a Korean 80's import due to the Ar Ord stamp under the barrel.  
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2021 at 8:04pm
I have had several Korean imported M1 carbines with stocks that were the Korean "Chu' wood. No expert on the wood but that is what I have heard it called also.

The ones I had were M2 potbelly stocks. While the stocks looked good and fit properly it was a fairly soft wood which I soon replaced with USGI stocks.

I was stationed in Korea in the early 70s. The ROKs all carried M1 Garands or M1 carbines. The police carried M1 carbines also. The mountains were pretty much barren and rocky except for a lot of small pine trees. I always figured these to be the Chu wood used in the stocks. I know the Japanese razed the county during WWII and then the Korean War was soon after that.

Edited by bonnie - Aug 04 2021 at 8:25pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2021 at 9:37pm
I call it Chu wood. The large shipment of stocks from South Korea several years back had a lot of those. I thought it was also called Kapur?
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2021 at 10:41am
Interesting stuff.
Seems Kapur and Chu come from two different trees.

From the web
Kapur is a hardwood and comes from lowland tropical rain forests of Malaysia and South-East Asia. It takes about 100 years for the tree to grow to 30 meters. Some of the old growth that was between 250 and 1000 years old!

Chu wood is a softer wood from the catalpa tree. Different species grows East Aisa, North America and the Caribbean. It is fast growing.

When I look up Kapur wood images I get lumber with a bland straight grain.
When I look up Chu wood images I get gun stocks.
when I look up catalpa wood images I get lumber and furniture which has a decent grain to it

It would seem that Chu would be better suited due to being fast growing and quickly replenishable.

So the question is if both types of wood were used for the carbine?

Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2021 at 11:44am
I was thinking that the M2 potbelly stock that came on this gun, looked similar to Chinese AK and SKS wood.  I had known it as Chu wood.  

Then when I got to looking up Chu wood, there was some "also known as" results came up, that Chu was Catalpa.  

It's all up in the air anyway, I do not yet know how "for sale" this gun is.  I've made an offer, we'll see.  The Korean stock is fixable to make a shooter, with a lot of time.  
 Post Reply Post Reply