Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My first M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trepang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first M1 Carbine
    Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 11:09am
New here and new to M1 Carbines.
Been into Garands and WWII bayonets for awhile but my interest has spilled over into M1 Carbines.

Without getting into the fact I probably paid too much please help me understand better what I have and any errors in my analysis or understanding of the markings and history of the rifle.

I became interested in the "Bavarian Carbines after reading the short little section in Craig Riesch book "U.S. M1 CARBINES, WARTIME PRODUCTION" book.

I came across this one on GunBroker and fell in love.  Based on my research it looks to be an Inland that was issued to the Bavarian Rural Police and then transferred to the Austrians.  I am basing this on the fact the receiver is marked " BAVARIAN RURAL POLICE" and the fact the trigger housing is marked "L.G.K.T" and "0489".

The last four of the receivers serial number is also stamped inside the sling well and engraved on the top of the bolt.

The stock also has the crossed cannons in the right spot for a wartime Inland stock, the barrel is marked Inland with a 9-43 date, and the front sight is "N" marked.

The gun came from CMP - the seller says he hasn't fired it or swapped parts on it since he bought it from CMP in 2009. It does come with a CMP certificate matching the serial number.

I welcome any feedback or insight from you more experienced guys.

Working on resizing pictures now.

Thank you

Edited by Trepang - Aug 02 2021 at 11:29am
USN Retired
Two types of ships: Submarines & Targets
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 11:41am
Trepang,
You need this link from above. Pull your boots off, put your feet up and crack a cold beer..... You'll be busy a while when you open the link below:

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Trepang View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trepang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Trepang,
You need this link from above. Pull your boots off, put your feet up and crack a cold beer..... You'll be busy a while when you open the link below:

Ch-P777

Thanks - I have actually been pouring over that website for the past couple of days....Thats what started me down this path.  lol
USN Retired
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 12:46pm
Looks to me like you have a good start.
The Lander that the carbine was assigned to can probably be figured out from the two initials.

Coming through DCM/CMP my understanding is that you pretty well assured it was checked out mechanically.  That's the same as having had paid a gunsmith the gages to check the headspace along with other important safety and funstions.

It is possible some parts were changed since coming back, and it looks like some parts were changed while in service.

If barrel and receiver numbers seem to match chronologically, then start going through the parts.
*Riesch is good enough to guide you through things to look for.
Then check the correction/error sheet posted here in the forum.
At that point Ruth's War Baby etc  may become a more useful reference for things like part transfers and such.

I found some of the Carbines of the Month Featured Carbines to be helpful examples of what to look for and what makes a good post.   [carbines of the month may be an older name, someone here will correct this]

There are two Inlands that have been featured.

Edited by Matt_X - Aug 02 2021 at 1:01pm
Trepang View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trepang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 12:58pm
Looks like I am going to need an oiler and a sling for it.

What would be a "correct" oiler for it?

Thanks
USN Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

The Lander that the carbine was assigned to can probably be figured out from the two initials.

I found some of the Carbines of the Month Featured Carbines to be helpful examples of what to look for and what makes a good post.   [carbines of the month may be an older name, someone here will correct this]

Carbine of the Month = Featured carbine. This is since we cannot promise them monthly.

LGK = LandesGendarmerieKommando meaning roughly Land Police Command Unit

the easiest way fro me to navigate the Austrians is to go to the "armory" and use the search function (CTRL + F) type the initials. 

Alternatively at the top of these pages use the BavarianM1Carbine.com search field.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/Armory.html

You will quickly find it is Tirol (Tyrol).
from the Austrian main page you will find it was occupied by France
http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/Austria.html

Back to the top of the page, we know to click Gendamerie and then click Tirol

I will leave the rest for the OP to discover

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 2:38pm
Any Original US oiler code would work.
Beware even the oilers are Faked these days. 
If me I'd buy a IS oiler.
Our Buddy Eddy Yuja who sells as 81mm on Gunbroker has them listed and you can count on it being real.
I know he just recently opened this bulk package of oilers.
Here's a current listing, be sure to read his Description for proper shipping cost, which will be $7.00.
I'm sure you could just bid the $15.00 and win it. Or pay the extra $1.00 and have it on the way.
Any questions just ask him thru the 'Ask the Seller a Question' feature. He's pretty quick to reply.

Slings can be tricky because of so many Fakes and Reproductions, especially USGI C Tip Slings, even post WWII D Tip slings.
If you want to keep on the German/Bavaria/Austria route you could consider these, but may be hard to locate:

On the Austria site, 
Jim M has this information about leather slings found and reported used on some in this link: http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/austriaaccess.html

German side,

Here is a current listing on Ebay with a "FIX" RG with the R reversed that 'Might' be real:

Original WWII C Tip slings when found on Ebay tend to go pretty $high, plus you have to sift thru the Fakes and Reproductions.

I'm sending you a PM.

Charlie-P777

Trepang View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trepang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Carbine of the Month = Featured carbine. This is since we cannot promise them monthly.

LGK = LandesGendarmerieKommando meaning roughly Land Police Command Unit

the easiest way fro me to navigate the Austrians is to go to the "armory" and use the search function (CTRL + F) type the initials. 

Alternatively at the top of these pages use the BavarianM1Carbine.com search field.

You will quickly find it is Tirol (Tyrol).
from the Austrian main page you will find it was occupied by France

Back to the top of the page, we know to click Gendamerie and then click Tirol

I will leave the rest for the OP to discover

Thanks - Very interesting

I did see this which does not match up with the one I bought - 

"Carbines with the markings of Tirol have been found to usually have one of two marking configurations. The first group has the Gendarmerie markings on the bottom of the trigger housing, with no other parts on the carbine stamped with any other numbers or markings. 

The second group have the Gendarmerie markings on the bottom of the trigger housing, and the entire serial number stamped in the sling-well.

Mine has the markings on the trigger housing but only has the last four digits of the serial number stamped in the sling-well; Not the entire serial number.

USN Retired
Trepang View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trepang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Any Original US oiler code would work.
Beware even the oilers are Faked these days. 
If me I'd buy a IS oiler.
Our Buddy Eddy Yuja who sells as 81mm on Gunbroker has them listed and you can count on it being real.
I know he just recently opened this bulk package of oilers.
Here's a current listing, be sure to read his Description for proper shipping cost, which will be $7.00.
I'm sure you could just bid the $15.00 and win it. Or pay the extra $1.00 and have it on the way.
Any questions just ask him thru the 'Ask the Seller a Question' feature. He's pretty quick to reply.

Slings can be tricky because of so many Fakes and Reproductions, especially USGI C Tip Slings, even post WWII D Tip slings.
If you want to keep on the German/Bavaria/Austria route you could consider these, but may be hard to locate:

On the Austria site, 
Jim M has this information about leather slings found and reported used on some in this link: http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/austriaaccess.html

German side,

Here is a current listing on Ebay with a "FIX" RG with the R reversed that 'Might' be real:

Original WWII C Tip slings when found on Ebay tend to go pretty $high, plus you have to sift thru the Fakes and Reproductions.

I'm sending you a PM.

Charlie-P777

Thanks - I found a "II" marked oiler on eBay that isn't crazy expensive.  As for a sling, a high quality repo will suit my needs.
USN Retired
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 3:00pm
"Thanks - I found a "II" marked oiler on eBay that isn't crazy expensive.  As for a sling, a high quality repo will suit my needs."

No need to reply to the PM I sent you then.

Cheers,
Ch-P777
Trepang View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trepang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2021 at 6:33pm
Took the Bavarian Rural Police 1943 Inland apart a little bit this afternoon.

It appears to be "correct" as to the way it was returned to the US Army from the Germans/Austrians.

Gotta love the German's love of serializing everything.

So far I have found the last four digits of the receiver's serial numbers (6437) on:

The bolt
The slide
The stock
The hand guard
The trigger housing
USN Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply