Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it possible for a WP Proof stamp to be hidden u

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trepang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it possible for a WP Proof stamp to be hidden u
    Posted: Jul 29 2021 at 3:01pm
I am a new member here and hate for my first post to be asking for some help but ....

I have come across what appears to be a nice Winchester M1 Carbine.

The obvious "flaw" is that it is in an Inland stock - correct crossed cannon cartouche and a HI in sling well.

The other thing that bugs me is there doesn't appear to be a WP proof mark on the barrel. There is the "W" stamp where it should be and since it is a 1.1 mil serial number I wouldn't expect it to be dated or have the flaming cannon ball on it but the lack of the WP proof bugs me.

It appears to have been through a re-arsenal or at least "updated" at some point and it has a JM stamped Type III barrel band on it. Is it possible the WP proof stamp is hidden by the barrel band?

Based on the rest of the parts and overall condition, its hard to believe it is a counterfeit Winchester barrel but I guess anything is possible.

What do you more experienced guys think?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
USN Retired
Two types of ships: Submarines & Targets
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2021 at 3:10pm
"Is it possible the WP proof stamp is hidden by the barrel band?"

Very possible and most likely.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2021 at 5:31pm
If it originally had a type 1 or 2 band, I would expect the WP in an oval proof mark to be covered by a type 3 band. Also, on rare occasion the proof mark managed to get missed! I've got an early Winchester that doesn't have any proof mark. The W is there, but not the WP proof.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2021 at 5:07pm
For what it’s worth, I have a Winchester (11530xx), the WP proof mark is about 1.7” from the front of the Type 1 barrel band to roughly the center of the proof, see photo.

Danny Fowler, NCCS, USN (Retired)
NRA Life Member

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2021 at 12:41am
As WRA changed to Wider barrel bands the Ovaled PW Proof was stamped further up the barrel so it remained visible.
Many makers did this with their P proof stamp IE: Inland

A rebuild where a Bayo band was installed on a early barrel would cover the PW.
But late WRA's that came with a Bayo band would have the PW stamped ahead of it.

I like to oil or lightly grease the barrel before I slide a Band forward to limit any marring.

Be happy the stock is a WWII Original.

Welcome to the Forum.... Only Dumb question is the one not asked, then never knowing the correct answer.

Also know that we enjoy pictures.

Handshake

Ch-P777  
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Trepang View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trepang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2021 at 4:04am
Thank guys - I sincerely appreciate it.
USN Retired
Two types of ships: Submarines & Targets
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Also, on rare occasion the proof mark managed to get missed! I've got an early Winchester that doesn't have any proof mark. The W is there, but not the WP proof.

Some of the late Win barrels don't come with a WP proof. In the 7 million range some just got the W. They would be short skirts.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply