Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type II Barrel Band Marked J.M.O.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type II Barrel Band Marked J.M.O.
    Posted: Jul 19 2021 at 6:18pm
I have a type II or (type B, if you prefer) barrel band that is marked J.M.O. on the left hand side, in front of the sling swivel.  I been through War Baby I and II and all the other references I have on hand, and can't find any information on this particular marking.  Any information that anyone could supply would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim B. 
Jim B.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2021 at 6:30pm
Should be J Mueller (sp?). They only made type 3 bands with the bayonet lug as far as I know so it's probably cut down to a type 2. Check closely.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2021 at 6:47pm
Look close probably JMQ not JMO. As GotSnlB28 said a cut down type III.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2021 at 3:24am
It could easily be J.M.Q.  There is a small mark, close to the period after the Q, that could be the tail of the Q.  When I looked at it under magnification, it didn't appear to be connected to or to cross-over into  the body of the letter, so I called it an "O", but I guess that could be just the angle of the strike or wear on the stamp that was used. 

If it has been cut down, it was well done -- the edge is square and even, there are no obvious signs of it being cut, and the edge appears to have been finished.  Is there an easy way to id a cut-down type three vs. an actual type 2?

Thanks for your help.

Jim B.

Jim B.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2021 at 6:29pm
Do you understand the meaning of a "broken edge"? Both parts; inner and outer, will have a broken edge. If it has sharp inside edges, it is most likely faked.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2021 at 7:36pm
American Radiator Standard Sanitary Corp was contracted with Inland to make the type 3 band. They did not make a type 2 band.
There marking was SI or Sl

take a look at this listing of a cut down T3

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2021 at 8:19pm
Dan, saw that one too, had me digging though the CCNLs to make sure I wasn't missing something. That one took a bit more effort than just a hacksaw.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply