Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st Block Underwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2021 at 1:47am
I was told my stock is somewhat rare, as later high-woods apparently had the crossed cannons and inspection mark located in the same box. Perhaps the latter cartouche is smaller? 

Regarding the star on the receiver, I did locate (a partial) one, though I found it in a location different than you had described.

Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2021 at 10:20am
Square box with CC to the side on highwood oval was used into the 4 million block, up to and including carbines with a barrel date of 9-43
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2021 at 10:50am
I’m sorry, Dan; I misspoke (er... mistyped).  I went back and reviewed my notes, and it was the size of the cartouche and not the placement of the crossed cannons in relation to the inspection mark that supposedly makes this stock somewhat rare. I was told the large block/cannons were only used for a short time.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2021 at 11:19am
Below is the link to at least one of the threads pertaining to the star stamps on the 1st block UEFs. Your star is on the rear of the receiver, which don’t know if ever been noted. The others are on the forward lug. Yours is also a bit higher in s/n in the 144xxxx range. Interesting!

Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2021 at 12:51am
Well... I finally got around to installing the type 1 barrel band on to my first-block Underwood. It would be nice if the finish matched the rest of the rifle better, but I can live with it-- anything's better than a type 3 band on an early example such as this. I had to apply some heat to the front sight assembly in order to get the staked pin to budge, but after that it was a piece of cake. I used a block of oak and a small rubber mallet to knock the front sight/key out, and it worked like a charm. Fortunately, it doesn't appear as though the later band left any impression on the barrel.

Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2021 at 10:32am
Quite an improvement!

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Pro Libertate Pro Libertate wrote:

It would be nice if the finish matched the rest of the rifle better, but I can live with it

from the factory the parts finish did not match. Barrel bands and other small parts were sometimes blued, sometimes parked.

Personally I would not keep the muzzle device on the carbine as it will eventually leave marks!
It was also not a WW2 item.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2021 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

from the factory the parts finish did not match. Barrel bands and other small parts were sometimes blued, sometimes parked.

Personally I would not keep the muzzle device on the carbine as it will eventually leave marks!
It was also not a WW2 item.

Thanks for chiming in, Dan. Yeah, I figured as much, considering the bolt and the handguard tang are both blued. I've just seen various first block Underwoods that appear to have a parkerized band, so I'm assuming that's what would be viewed as "correct" on this rifle.

Regarding the muzzle device... it looks like it's been on there a while, as there's already light finish wear beneath. Do you have any idea how long after the war's end Underwood was contracted to make these recoil checks? Was Korea the first theatre in which they saw use?

With a rifle like this that hasn't seen the later upgrades... is it safe to say it was a vet bring back? How else might unadulterated/original config.  carbines have escaped arsenal reteofitting? Can one also safely assume it didn't see use in any of the other wars following WW2?
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2021 at 4:17pm
Recoil checks are postwar. I’ve got an NOS Underwood with the original box and it’s dated 1953. Not sure when they first began production, but it was not during WWII.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2021 at 6:25pm
The "Check, Recoil, M1" was recommended for adoption by Ordnance on 11 Oct 1945. I also have an Underwood in original box, it is dated 1952.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2022 at 10:17pm
I'm actually putting this guy up for sale. If interested, you can find it in the "For Sale" subforum.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12