The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

plated 110 fmj bullets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plated 110 fmj bullets
    Posted: Jun 13 2021 at 1:25pm
So, I bought 1000 xtreme 110 gr copper plated bullets without doing my home work. I see pros and cons about pushing them to 1900 fps. Crap! Any of you used these at about 1900fps and what did you see? 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2021 at 3:52pm
I believe the manufacturer claims they are okay a little past 2000fps. I shoot a good many of these and have not had any issues loaded a tad over 2000fps. I would clean the bore well after a session or lot of random plinking. I do that anyway.

My issue with them is by my measurement, they can run a little small in diameter. I had to sort and locate a crimping die that would crimp the case enough to hold the bullet. But, don’t over-crimp. If you do, you will wind up with a lose projectile when the case-mouth springs back when removed from the die.

So….for me they shoot well, but you might have to find a crimper to secure the projectile. Just crimping harder will only make matters worse and you will push the brass past die shoulder. The problem is with the narrow bullet and not the die. My dies all work fine on FMJ, but I had to find one a little tighter to properly crimp these. I will not be purchasing anymore after I shoot these up.

dennis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2021 at 7:32pm
Thanks, I will load these with 14 grs H110. Thats my favorite load for all my carbines using Hornaday 110gr FMJ bullets.I miced several and they all came in a strong .308 with a Starrett 1 inch mic. I weighed a bunch and the weights only varied by a few tenths. I have been using a lee factory crimp die to just iron the slight bell I put on the case. I load a lot of cast boolits in other calibers so am aware of over crimping. I really like the lee die because of the fact case length is not so critical. As an aside, I scored a Inland Fine grade from Midway but since I live in Washington state its in jail at my ffl for at least 2-3 weeks.Cry I got to fondle it and it looks really good. Cant wait to clean it up and shoot it.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2021 at 7:44pm
Your batch does seem to be closer to tolerance than mine are. Comparing them to some fmj I have, mine run smaller. I could have even had sizer issues, but still no problem with the fmj. After sizing a case, there should be no reason for the projectile to simply drop inside the mouth and fall all way down into the case. I did find a set of RCBS dies that sized and crimped these to build a useable round. I do not target shoot, more of a paper-plate at 25-yards type of guy, so I can’t get down to the nitty-gritty of how they print at longer ranges. Self defense and varmint ranges…they do very well.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2021 at 7:59pm
Keep in mind too that the nominal bore of a carbine is not .308, but rather .3075. You can load a carbine just to 1800 and still get reliable cycling. Accuracy will still be good but you will have a slight bit more drop at 100. I use IMR 4227 and push hard cast at 1850 without leading. Plated rounds should do well at any speed between 1800 and 1950. But your mileage may very. start a little low and work up.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
dennis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2021 at 10:20pm
Yeah, I really dont shoot more than 50 yds. I was worried about pushing them to fast so I will start a little lower, maybe 13gr and work up. Dont need magnum killers, just fun plinking loads. We have mules, horse, and a mini donkey that I must protect. We have the occasional cougar, coyotes and worst of all domestic dogs get loose and come around. Dont want to shoot no dogs but would scare them. Anyway I guess just a slight bell on the case and treat these gently when crimping and I should be all right.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 6:37am
I run 13.5 grains 110 or 296 and have some surplus H108 loaded with 12.7 grains. All these hang around 1900. I have used three different brands of dies and never have to expand cases. If I did, these bullets would drop-in all way to the basement.
dennis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 9:27am
I dont remember why I belled my carbine cases in the first place. I will check my notes and see why? I keep little yellow note pads for each caliber I load for. I will pin gauge the inside of the necks after sizing and see what my sizing die is doing. I will load some and test and let you know what I get with 13 - 14gr H110.
dennis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 3:22pm
Floyd: I re-read my earlier post about measuring the xtreme 110s and the hdy 110s. The xtremes measure a strong .308. The hdy 110s fmj round nose are all right .307. My original post might have been a little bit confusing as to which bullet I was refering to.
 Post Reply Post Reply