The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member in NC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member in NC
    Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 10:46pm
Just dropping in with the obligatory information.

I am the proud new owner of a Standard Products M1, 2220XXX

Is there anyway to narrow down the production month just from serial number??  It has an Underwood barrel with a 2-44 proof mark.

I was able to narrow down my Garand to October of '43, and would like to do the same with my carbine.

Regards....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 11:07pm
in the 40 plus years of collecting datasheets the highest SP reported is about 18500 numbers higher.
Standard products last delivery was 18,005 in april 1944.

It is possible that yours was one of the last or possibly March 44. This would coincide with your barrel, of original to the carbine. The P proof on the barrel will tell part of that story

Take a very good look at the stake marks on the dovetail. Is there flip sight stake Mark's in addition to the adjustable sight stake marks ?

Are there any rebuild Marks on your stock?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 11:16pm
Welcome. And are there any marks right behind the FRONT sight on the barrel?
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 11:16pm
Welcome from NC as well.  I soon will have a SP somewhat younger than yours. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Be sure to post some pics 
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 12:17am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

in the 40 plus years of collecting datasheets the highest SP reported is about 18500 numbers higher.

It is possible that yours was one of the last or possibly March 44. This would coincide with your barrel, of original to the carbine. The P proof on the barrel will tell part of that story

Take a very good look at the stake marks on the dovetail. Is there flip sight stake Mark's in addition to the adjustable sight stake marks ?

Yeah, I would think it was near the production run.

I can't tell if the barrel is "original", but it seems to coincide with what I read about Underwood providing barrels to SP.

The stake marks on the rear sight are really hard to "read".  The adjustable sight has been pushed passed the stake marks, and is really hanging out to the right.  It is unshootable in its current condition.

As far as I can tell, there are NO rebuild marks on the stock.  The grip cartouche is mangled, but the stock is marked P-U which I also is proper for the SP builds.

Thanks for the help.
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 12:19am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Welcome. And are there any marks right behind the FRONT sight on the barrel?

The front sight is resting on a smooth part of the barrel, just in front of the rest that has the tool marks all the way back.  The only thing I see is inside the tool mark section, which is the Underwood marking, with the date stamp and the bomb cartouche.
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 12:21am

Oh, and the P proof on the barrel is about equal distance between the front sight and the barrel band.  Slightly off canted P.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 12:33am
PU stocks were made by Pedersen Brothers for Underwood.
Where did you get the idea that it would be correct for a Standard Products?
Sp has SHB and SJ stocks

Here is info on stocks
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 2:09am

PU stocks were made by Pedersen Brothers for Underwood.
Where did you get the idea that it would be correct for a Standard Products?
Sp has SHB and SJ stocks

Here is info on stocks

Thought I somewhere that the some stocks were provided by Underwood.

I've been wrong before, and this won't be the last time.
Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 9:46am
Good morning, and happy dad's day! Welcome to the forum, you're in the right place to learn about carbines. A wealth of info from a lot of fellas that have done a massive amount of research.

I also own an SP, s/n 1992815, less than a thousand after the highest numbered carbine submitted to their third test at Aberdeen, June 28/29, 1943, and the first rail carload was dispatched July 6, 1943 ('War Baby', pgs. 182/184).  I'm sure mine is a post war arsenal mutt; type 3 barrel band, Inland trigger housing, Inland bolt, Q-RMC stock (maybe an UnQuality?Wink), etc., you get the picture. But with the wear 'patterns' on the receiver and barrel finishes, I think they are original to each other. The Underwood barrel is marked 4-43, so maybe produced July or August of '43.

So, I'd say by the time they got to your build, they had improved their processes such that there would be less 'lag' between barrel manufacture and carbine assembly. Your barrel date is probably pretty close to actual final assembly.

Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 11:58am
Hey 81NavyOS,
Did a little more digging while I had 'WB' out. Page 472 shows SP's production numbers for each month of '43 and '44. By that info, it looks like your receiver may have been produced in December of '43. That assumes a lot, specifically, that production was smooth, month-to-month. Not likely. Probably more like, since SP was making their own receivers, they might have had a bit of a 'glut' earlier in production while they waited for suppliers to deliver other parts. Hence, it could have been made earlier. So, your barrel date might be more accurate? Who knows, it might have been one of the 'plant cleanup' guns from July '44! If I'm way off base (been there, done that), somebody let me know. Hope this helps in your quest. Lou.
 Post Reply Post Reply