The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clearing corrosion from barrel bore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clearing corrosion from barrel bore
    Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 6:02pm
I have a spare barrel with fairly significant corrosion (rust) thru the entire length of the bore. I have wire brushed the life out of it with bore cleaner and it is still pretty rough. Many years ago, I think I recall someone saying "The best thing to do is just shoot it to clean it out". Does this sound logical, or is there another method I could try that might clean it up some? 
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 7:02pm
We used to push a plug from the breech up to within 1.5" from the muzzle on bolt actions. Pour molten lead up to the muzzle. Drive out the plug and lead from the muzzle end.
Put a small amount of valve grinding compound in the muzzle and drive the lead down the bore until the bore is suitably clean.
On an M1, you will have to insert the plug from the muzzle end 1.5" down.

Edited by Charles - Jun 05 2021 at 9:49pm
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 9:24pm
I have not tried the method I'm about to describe to clean a bore by itself, but I have used it to clean some "junk" pistols that were completely rusted, and it yielded amazing results. A very good friend of mine also used it to clean up a bunch of original Auto-Ordnance gauges that we found from the Savage factory, and it was much more effective than elbow grease, or any other method that he tried. Anyway, the stuff is called WD-40 Rust Remover Soak. It will remove bluing, and possibly other finishes, as well, but I think if you were able to seal off the bore, and put this product inside, it would work wonders for you. You can start out with it for a short period of time, and let it work longer, if needed. Maybe even try it with wet cleaning patches first. Here is a picture of the product.

I think if you ease into this, and determine the right amount of time and product to use, you will get the bore completely free of rust.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 1:42am
 I bought an Inland through Proxibid whose bore was described as "poor", and it did look pretty bad-

I scrubbed it with bore cleaner and a brass brush, to no avail. Loaded 10 rounds in a magazine, trotted out to the bench and fired them, then back to the workbench to clean again. It worked-

So shooting a few through it then cleaning it would be the first thing I'd try.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 8:20am
Many thanks for the tips. 
Whelen, you produced some fabulous results. Like you suggest ...... I think I'll try shooting it. 
I already tried the rust soak solution and made the mistake of getting some on the outside surface of the barrel. As you said, David, it messed up the bluing. I should have known to read all the fine print before getting careless with it. Will have to have it reblued. 
Thanks again, everyone.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 9:55am
just a FYI for anyone following the thread

Bluing AKA black oxide, is a form of oxidization. 
Parkerizing/phosphate finish is a form of oxidation to the metal.
Rust is oxidization of metal.

Any method of rust removal will also remove phosphate or blue finishes.

So as David and Reed pointed out, care must be given to protect the finish.

Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 8:38pm
I'm lazy (i.e. efficient with my time).   So I agree with above advice, shoot it and let bullets do your work for you.  

When it's cleaning time, I'd recommend "gray grease."  Some call it JB Bore Paste. Saturate a patch, then wrap it around a brass .30 cal jag and go to work, changing patches frequently.  Keep the new patches saturated.  Then use RBC or similar to get rid of any residue.  This would be a one-time effort for the above described problem.  
 Post Reply Post Reply