The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from TN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from TN
    Posted: May 28 2021 at 1:23pm
Good day to all!
I recently acquired an M1 carbine, and as a result, found your website. What a great source for information, history, everything Carbine! The gun is a Standard Products, s/n 19928xx receiver, Underwood 4-43 marked barrel, with what appears to be a Quality-RMC stock. I'm sure it's an arsenal mutt, but it all seems to be in fine shape for it's age. That said, after looking through the site and tearing the gun apart about 50 times (does the barrel band screw wear out?ConfusedLOL), I finally joined and sent in a data sheet. You all have answered so many questions, but I'm sure I'll have more. Anyway, thanks for having me. I'll attempt to get you some pics, and thanks again!

Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 2:21pm
Welcome and nice carbine! I haven’t managed to wear a band screw out yet- but like you am still trying!
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 3:31pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico?

Yes the band screw does wear out. Fortunately it's softer than the nut plate on the band so it's easy to replace. Nenel3 on Ebay in France has original replacement screws, free shipping. He's a good source for carbine parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291719623690?hash=item43ebd8340a:g:FlUAAMXQVgBRHBDd
JackP
Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 3:46pm
Thanks! I knew more questions would be answered. Lou.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 4:56pm
Welcome. During the process of developing a off-caliber carbine I must have massaged band screws way past what any carbine would see in a normal lifetime, but was careful not to over-work it. I have worked on a few with stripped band screws and band threads though. It’s aggravated by over tightening, you don’t have to wind the band screw down until it cries! I also keep the threads greased....I am seriously anal about not stripping band screws because I have seen them before. 
Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 5:52pm
Thanks for the good advice, just snug is enough.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 11:37pm
I've always thought it was designed to be tightened with an empty casing which if that's true, then that right there proves it doesn't need a whole lot of torque because I imagine you couldn't get much torque using an empty casing even if you wanted to.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Jond41403 Jond41403 wrote:

I've always thought it was designed to be tightened with an empty casing which if that's true, then that right there proves it doesn't need a whole lot of torque because I imagine you couldn't get much torque using an empty casing even if you wanted to.

Ordnance trials for a new light rifle called for the lack of need for tools and even suggested that the bullet to be used as a tool.

FM 23-7 1942 pg 5 "using the rim of a carbine cartridge, loosen the upper band screw about 1/8 inch. Turn the barrel over. Depress the upper band retainer spring with the base of the cartridge..."

It goes on to describe how to use the operating spring guide is used to disassemble the trigger group.

FM 23-7 1952 pg 12 says to use a dummy cartridge or a screwdriver. I am sure in Korea soldiers were well equipped with a dummy cartridge Dead

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 11:50am
Welcome to the forum.
Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 3:34pm
Thanks for the info, it's obvious that a lot of you fellas have done a lot of research. Lou.
 Post Reply Post Reply