The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester or High Standard Prototype Carbine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester or High Standard Prototype Carbine?
    Posted: May 09 2021 at 8:35pm
A friend of a friend visited the Wehrtechnisches Museum in Koblenz, Germany in 2010, and I had some photos forwarded to me today from that museum that prompt some interesting Carbine related questions.

In Larry Ruth's "War Baby," he shows a rifle that is described as a High Standard Prototype Carbine that was initially entered into the Carbine trials. This same rifle is in Germany, labeled as a Winchester prototype. That's the mystery, in a nutshell. Which one is correct?

Photo from "War Baby:"

Prototype Carbine in German Museum:

The friend was surprised that a U.S. prototype rifle would be overseas, but that's not really surprising to me. Prototype firearms are owned by many private collectors, and could be traded, including to overseas destinations. I own two prototype rifles myself, one of which was the main rifle used to evaluate adoption of it by by the USMC during WWII. I have seen many others in private hands.

I have some literature from the Aberdeen Proving Ground Carbine Trials which indicate that High Standard was sent a flyer about the trials, but it does not mention that High Standard made a submission. Larry Ruth indicates that High Standard submitted the rifle in the photos, but when the caliber requirements were changed, they did not follow-up.

Has this been covered anywhere previously? I see some similarities between the rifle in the German museum, and the final Winchester prototype. Could this really be a Winchester prototype, and not a High Standard? I'm curious what folks here think about it.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 12:15pm
WB3, page 875 notes that the High Standard prototype was fitted with a trigger group taken from a Winchester self-loading rifle. Perhaps that has something to do with how it later became referred to as a Winchester.

I also noticed that the barrel has been shortened and the rear sight seems to have been altered making the leaf look thicker. Perhaps these were changes made with the intention of re-submitting it for further evaluation which, for some unknown reason, did not happen.
JackP
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 2:31am
David,

The info and photos regarding the Hi-Standard prototype are in the Aberdeen archives collection that has since been moved to Ft. Lee, VA. Larry found them at Aberdeen back in the 80's.

That Bundeswehr Museum appears to have the Bundeswehr collection of firearms used as reference material for designing new firearms. The German equivalent to the research facility formerly at Enfield that is currently part of The Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, UK.

The Royal Armouries Museum has Inland s/n XB74. A .30 cal. prototype the Enfield curator acquired back during his tenure.

I suspect a curator or purchasing agent for the Bundeswehr acquired the High Standard prototype sometime after WWII for use as reference material. The Bundeswehr was provided with U.S. .30 cal. carbines by the U.S. Military Assistance Program when the they were formed in 1955. After the end of the occupation.

Jim

P.S. The Bundeswehr Museum in Koblenz also has this carbine ...

The scope is a Phillips IR scope developed in the 50's in the Netherlands. Versions were provided to FN in Belgium and the German Bundeswehr for evaluation.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

WB3, page 875 notes that the High Standard prototype was fitted with a trigger group taken from a Winchester self-loading rifle. Perhaps that has something to do with how it later became referred to as a Winchester.

I also noticed that the barrel has been shortened and the rear sight seems to have been altered making the leaf look thicker. Perhaps these were changes made with the intention of re-submitting it for further evaluation which, for some unknown reason, did not happen.

I challenge Larry's observation on page 875 of WB3. If anyone can identify which Winchester SLR the High Standard trigger group came from, then I will revise, and stand corrected. Larry states that, "It appears that the High Standard gas-operated carbine shown in fig. 51 had also been fitted with a trigger group taken from one or other of the Winchester self-loading rifle series." At a glance, the trigger group may appear to be from a Winchester SLR, but it is dissimilar to the .22 series, as well as the centerfire series, unless it has been highly modified, which is not mentioned by Larry. I compared it to my Model 1907 Winchester SLR, and it is not the same. It has some similarity to the .22 series, but again, is very different. In the photos that sleeplessnashadow posted, it is even strange that the trigger group appears different between photo 67359 and 67361, with an additional feature just forward of the trigger guard in photo 67359.

Your observation of the difference in rear sight is well noted. I think it's the same rear sight, just different lighting and photo perspective between the Aberdeen photos, and the museum photo. I was provided with a higher resolution version of the German museum photo after I posted here, and some shadowing may add to the perceived thickness of the rear sight.

Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

David,

I suspect a curator or purchasing agent for the Bundeswehr acquired the High Standard prototype sometime after WWII for use as reference material.

Jim

I suspect the same. Thank you for your additional reference photos of the High Standard Carbine.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 7:13pm
Larry states that, "It appears that the High Standard gas-operated carbine shown in fig. 51 had also been fitted with a trigger group taken from one or other of the Winchester self-loading rifle series."

I purchased a Winchester M1907 SLR (which I think I later sold to New2Brass) for the purpose of learning and photos for comparison to the 1st Winchester Light Rifle prototype. One of the pics is on the web page devoted to this prototype (link below pic).

Winchester's 1st Light Rifle Prototype

Comparing my pics of the 1907 Winchester with those of the High Standard prototype shown in 67359 and 67361 (above) it's pretty clear the Winchester 1907 and High Standard trigger groups are not similar.

However, read the entire quote ..

War Baby III page 875

"Taking a leaf from the Winchester "thirteen-day carbine project, it appears that the High Standard gas-operated carbine shown in fig. 51 had also been fitted with a trigger group taken from one or other of the Winchester self-loading rifle series.

"it appears" appears to have been an error in visual comparison (use your magnifying glass, Larry). Also an error by not comparing whatever leaf from that project to Ordnance pics 67359 and 67361.

In the photos that sleeplessnashadow posted, it is even strange that the trigger group appears different between photo 67359 and 67361, with an additional feature just forward of the trigger guard in photo 67359.

I think what you are referring to is shown assembled to the front of the trigger guard in 67359 and shown disassembled in 67361.

Jim
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

[Quote]
In the photos that sleeplessnashadow posted, it is even strange that the trigger group appears different between photo 67359 and 67361, with an additional feature just forward of the trigger guard in photo 67359.

I think what you are referring to is shown assembled to the front of the trigger guard in 67359 and shown disassembled in 67361.

Jim

It may be that the internal part in photo 67361 just above the trigger frame protrudes through the bottom of the trigger frame to produce the silhouetted view in 67359.

In any case, we seem to have established that a Winchester SLR trigger frame was not used in the High Standard prototype.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply