The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member - PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheleszoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member - PA
    Posted: May 01 2021 at 2:13pm
Hello everyone.  I'm Chele and I just got into collecting military rifles.  I fell in love with the M1 Carbine when I recently had the opportunity to shoot an M1 and an M1A1 Paratrooper.

I had to have one and after a month or so found one that spoke to me and purchased it.

I have what I believe is an all original National Postal Meter, but am not 100% sure.  Based on the books I've referenced and several online sites it appears that it is.

Here are some pics, and I just sent in my data sheet.  Haven't disassembled the bolt yet (still waiting for the tool to get here).  

Excited to learn from everyone and expand my collection Tongue

Edited by Cheleszoo - May 02 2021 at 12:11am
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 3:01pm
Welcome and congrats on the rifle. As far as the type 2 rear sight being original I believe NPM only used type 1 but you can check the receiver dovetail for type 1 stake marks, or post pictures here.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 3:45pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Congratulations on your new acquisition. NPM used barrels from the Government-Free-Issue-Barrel program. Carbines in your serial number range often had I.B.M. barrels. How about yours? Any more pictures?
JackP
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2021 at 9:49pm
Hello- looks like a nice rifle- let’s see some more pics
Cheleszoo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheleszoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:01am
About the sight, I didn’t see anything about NPM not using them, only that they didn’t produce them.  The timeframe from what I understand (early 44) was when the manufacturers were switching away from the Type I.  Of course I could have misunderstood what I read.  

The barrel is IBM Corp and is undated.  It has a tiny ~2mm tall P and what looks like punch mark.

I have a lot of pics.  Was taking them as I was stripping it down to clean and fill out the data sheet.  Are there pics of anything in particular you would like to see?  Or do you want to see all the parts?  I do want to get it outside at some point and get a good pic of the stock.  None of the pics so far does it justice.

I did see the post about the cut out and cam degree.  Any thoughts about if it is 33 or 45?  I was guessing at 33.
Cheleszoo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheleszoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:09am
Not sure where to look for the stake marks.  Can you point me to a picture or describe where I need to look?  I’m still learning my way around this rifle.   Won’t be back home til Monday, but I definitely be anxious to see.  I’m hoping my bolt tool will be in by then too so I can finally document what I’m missing on the data sheet.

I only have these side views and the one I posted earlier 

I find the pattern that seems to swirl up from the receiver continues up onto the sides of the sight.  Not sure how or why those marks are there.  If the sight had been replaced wouldn’t it look different from the receiver?  Like a newer looking finish?

Edited by Cheleszoo - May 02 2021 at 12:47am
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:47pm
Re: stake marks. They will be in the top of the receiver dovetail and hold the sight in place. Flip staking is generally chisel like (though there are exceptions), whereas a type 2 or 3 sight added in rebuild will usually have punch type staking in addition to the original chisel type. Pictures should be taken from the top with the windage knob moved to the far left and right to see the dovetail clearly. Here are a couple links from the site with NPMs that have flip sights:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/featured-carbine-national-postal-meter-1457503_topic3770.html

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/my-bavarian-carbine_topic3647.html

To my knowledge, the PI type 2 sight will be a replacement. If you post detailed pictures of the internals and markings you'll get a lot of good info from forum members.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 6:36pm
The sight was made by a different company, so you shouldn't assume tooling marks would be the same. Its just a coincidence that your carbine has similar tool marks to the sight.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Cheleszoo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheleszoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 1:19am
Here are pics of the stake marks on the rear sight.

Finally got my bolt tool. Can’t wait to see what marks it holds.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 7:11am
I can see the original chisel type staking with those pictures, the "spike" on the later punch staking.
 Post Reply Post Reply