Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw S'G' barrel broken proof P.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw S'G' barrel broken proof P.
    Posted: Apr 17 2021 at 3:19pm
Here are three 11-43 U bbls proofed the same, making the P look like it has no leg. We talked about this inside another discussion once, about the proof P looking sorta like a punch but finding it would be a trick.
Two of them really do have the leg. You can barely see it on the middle one, but the one on the right has a partial one. The photos isn't the best. The barrel was either rolled during stamping, or the tool was raked or was damaged.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2021 at 5:04pm
I have a S'G' with a 10-43 Inland barrel with what looks like the same broken proof, always wondered if the barrel was original to the receiver.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2021 at 5:11pm
The one 11.43 in front of me is a 3.63m. Seems the one downstairs is 3.62. The other is loose.
I saw a 9-43 around here that still had the stem but suggests it was heading the direction of these.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2021 at 5:20pm
The one I posted above is on a 3.60. It also has an Inland proof way down the barrel near the gas cyl.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2021 at 5:43pm
 Interesting- very different than my S’G’ 3.2 with 5-43 Underwood barrel. The S’G’ 1.84 I have with 8-43 Underwood is still a clear “P”. This pic is of the 5-43
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2021 at 6:06pm
I got an orig 1.87 (I believe it was) and the P has a clear stem. It's an 8-43 U bbl.
It might even have to Ps. One of my Primes has 2 identical Ps.

It's not a 1.87. It's a 1.82m.

Edited by tenOCEE - Apr 17 2021 at 7:52pm
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2021 at 6:34pm
My 1.823 S'G' with an 8-43 U barrel likewise has a clear P.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2021 at 10:45am
@ Bigheavy,
you probably checked but is there any evidence of a second proof on the barrel?

At the beginning of production it was required that all barrels were to be proof fired at point of manufacturer.
When the carbine was completely assembled it was to be proof fired again.
it was found that by only proofing after assembly would save a significant amount of ammunition.
The Government however was buying the barrels that were sent to prime contractors that utilized the government free-issue barrel program. There had to be some accountability for these barrels so it was decided that for every 1100 barrels purchased there would be 100 that were proofed.

This would mean that some carbines only have one proof P but others may have two proof Ps

this could normally be figured out whose P is whose by observing and comparing. Unfortunately Underwood had several proof Ps, one of which is very similar to the one S'G' used that had a short leg.

For those with the CCNLs and interest see 191-1,2 371-14,15 for the info on proofing and 384-20,21,22 for more on proofing with diagrams and descriptions of the different P proofs observed

Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2021 at 11:18am
Dan- checked both S’G’s with Underwood barrels- neither had the double P. Was hoping to be able to compare. Would Underwood have done the same- or not since they used their own barrels?
 Post Reply Post Reply