The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30 Caliber Sabots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 Caliber Sabots
    Posted: Mar 23 2021 at 10:22am
Yep....I’m pretty bored.

Any of you reloaders ever entertain the idea of 30-caliber to .224 sabots? I already push an 85-90 grain .308 Mauser projectile up past 2400fps. I wonder how exciting it might be to push a .224 up past 3000fps from a 7.62 x 33 case? 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2021 at 10:24am
From what I've heard, while the velocities get up there, the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Those folks that I've talked to and heard from are anything but impressed with their results.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2021 at 10:49am
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2021 at 11:26am
Thanks for that Dan. I got brain cells dying every day. Did not remember ever participating in that discussion. 

Edit: I have discovered that if you can hold your nose and try one, those black polymer Universal/Iver Johnson magazines will feed anything. They might need tweaking a bit to fit, but they place the nose of the bullet right up in front of the chamber. Will feed hollow-points, truncated cone, or about any projectile profile.....and the carbine will not explode if you insert a plastic mag either. Good hunting magazines where capacity is restricted. 
 Post Reply Post Reply