The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member, just got a Carbine!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanr256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member, just got a Carbine!
    Posted: Mar 16 2021 at 9:45pm
I have received an M1 from my son in law, who received it from his father. It's a Standard Products mix-master that's been through a couple of refurbs. When I received it, the stock had a heavy coating of shellac on it. Enough that the buttplate was almost glued on. I had to gently pry the buttplate off. At first I wiped some denatured alcohol on the stock and the rag was stained an amber color. This told me it was shellac.

I bought some Minwax Antique Furniture Refinisher and used that to remove the shellac. A couple of wipe downs with the Furniture Refinisher and 0000 steel wool and the shellac was gone. I let the stock sit overnight to dry and then put 2 coats of boiled linseed oil on it, letting the oil dry between coats.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any before pics of the stock. But, the shellac was so heavy I could not see any stampings on the stock. And, in some places, it was black. I did get a pic after the rifle was reassembled:

There's a color mis-match between the stock and the hand guard, but I'm ok with that.

Here's a list of the markings I was able to find when I had the rifle disassembled:

Barrel - BI on the flat part between the gas piston and breech - Brown-Lipe-Chapin
Gas Block - BI on front - Inland, gas block is swaged
Hand Guard - MU - Marlin 2-rivet
Gas Piston - WI - Inland
Front site - RIA - Type III, cast post war?
Barrel Band - C - Low C, made by Cowels
Slide - E & a 3 on the bottom, PI in the well - Inland (Packard Mfg) 
Rear Sight - PI - Inland (Packard Mfg), type II milled
Recoil Plate - no markings
Hammer - HN - NPM
Mag Release - Underlined M and E.I. - Inland, 30 round capable
Trigger Housing - Inland
Sear - SG-B - IBM
Safety - EI - Inland (Rotary type)
Buttplate - no markings - Looks like a Winchester
Bolt - OI and 2 - Inland (Flat)
Stock - OI in sling cutout, Double P on front of grip, 24 on bottom of grip, AN on left side of stock - Inland low wood, oval cut
Receiver - Std. Pro. - standard Products serial number 19893XX

I haven't disassembled the bolt or trigger group yet. I may do that at some point but it's not a huge priority at the moment.

I also received a 15 round Winchester magazine and a 30 round Seymour Products split back magazine.

I will say that I am disappointed that there are no flaming bombs, or crossed cannons anywhere to be found. But I am pleased with the overall condition and even though it has a bunch of Inland parts, it's a lowish number Std. Pro. receiver. Smile

Oh, one thing that is strange is that I can push the rear site off without much effort. Shocked

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256 - Mar 17 2021 at 9:14pm
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2021 at 9:53pm
Welcome - definitely better without the shellac. I cleaned a paint band and rack number off an Underwood stock that I have and even that was a huge improvement. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2021 at 11:40pm
Bob, welcome to the insanity.

HN hammer was for NPM

Is the C on the band in the center or down lower than the metal that holds the sling swivel?
Care to share one more digit of the serial number?

Is there stake marks on the rear sight dovetail?

The stock has been through an Anniston Arsenal rebuild, could have been through others.
Here is why there is no CC (though this pic is from Augusta)

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 7:32am
In rare occasions there is no crossed cannons on the right side of the stock and is in the sling cut. That would be on a stock with an I cut oiler hole though.

I'd post a pic but I'm out of bandwidth on the server again.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 7:48am
Congrats and welcome to the party. You've done a great job documenting the components and doing some basic restoration from Bubba's handiwork. We'll wait to hear about the first range trip.
ryanr256 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanr256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Bob, welcome to the insanity.

HN hammer was for NPM

Is the C on the band in the center or down lower than the metal that holds the sling swivel?
Care to share one more digit of the serial number?

Is there stake marks on the rear sight dovetail?

Hammer - I have it in my notes as a Quality Hardware item. It's a Type III straight hammer, not a dog leg. Does that matter?

Bolt - I'll look at it again. I may have transposed the characters. I'll also get a picture.

Barrel Band - The C is in the center of the band, just below the sling swivel. I have a pic but it's on the computer at home. I can post it when I get home tonight.

The serial number is 19893XX.

Rear Sight - No obvious stake marks, but when I push it in from right to left it kinda clicks into place. If I use both thumbs, I can push it back off (from left to right).

I have pictures of the various markings, 'specially the stock. I will post them when I get home after work.

Thanks for the replies.

-Bob
ryanr256 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanr256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 11:56am
Here's a pic of the hammer:

Working on resizing the pic of the barrel band. I've done some more research, which is more entertaining than my job, and now see a "C" doesn't always mean Winchester.

Here's the barrel band:

-Bob
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 12:51pm
Good pics of a post war band with low C. Dan helped on my storage space.
This is the earlier IN sling cut I wanted to show; the crossed cannons.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 12:54pm
Bob, that is a "low C"
Both variations of the C band are made by Cowels. The higher C has been observed on late Winchester carbines.  The low C we have seen in post war dated packaging.

I do not know where you got HN for QHMC.  War Baby! says it was made bu Hunter Arms Co. for NPM.
QHMC had one supplier of hammers, Ludlow Typograph co. The marking was NL-Q on the late hammers.

On the bolt I am confident that you will find it is WU, which was Universal Windings for Underwood.

War baby! lists bolts from *Universal windings. The asterisk means that the parts were purchased as surplus. So though a possibility for a small number of Winchesters the bolt was still Intended for Underwood.

If the dovetail has no stake marks it is something collectors are looking for.

ryanr256 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanr256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 1:52pm

Bob, that is a "low C"
Both variations of the C band are made by Cowels. The higher C has been observed on late Winchester carbines.  The low C we have seen in post war dated packaging.

I do not know where you got HN for QHMC.  War Baby! says it was made bu Hunter Arms Co. for NPM.
QHMC had one supplier of hammers, Ludlow Typograph co. The marking was NL-Q on the late hammers.

On the bolt I am confident that you will find it is WU, which was Universal Windings for Underwood.

War baby! lists bolts from *Universal windings. The asterisk means that the parts were purchased as surplus. So though a possibility for a small number of Winchesters the bolt was still Intended for Underwood.

If the dovetail has no stake marks it is something collectors are looking for.

When I get home I will double check my notes on the bolt. I'm under the impression a lot of the parts on the gun are from post war refurbishing. I may have, and probably did, make some errors in my original post.

I'll also post a picture of the rear dovetail and sight. It might have been staked, but not very good. I did find it strange that the sight comes off rather easily with just finger pressure. No hammer and punch necessary.

I looked at pics of hammers and determine mine was a Type III Straight and searched for info on the markings on that type. Here's one source I used:

On that page it states the dog legs are NPM, but the straights are Quality Hardware. I know not to trust everything on the Internet, that's why I posted here. I wanted validation of my assumptions.

I did discover the info on the low C earlier today. Thanks for the clarification.

-Bob
ryanr256 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanr256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Good pics of a post war band with low C. Dan helped on my storage space.
This is the earlier IN sling cut I wanted to show; the crossed cannons.

Here's the sling cut from mine:

Nothing but the OI. I'll add more pics of the stock markings once I resize them.

Here they are:

Here's some of the damage the stock has:

The repair on the grip was done fairly well. Doesn't look like it was sanded too heavily. The crack may have been glued at some point. I tried to separate it and it didn't budge. Of course I didn't pull very hard for fear of breaking it.

-Bob
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 2:20pm
It looks like nobody corrected the naughty monkey since 2011.

The T3 hammer QHMC markings has the NPM markings. The Q.U. is a Underwood hammer. There is no AQ hammer.
NPM line has some of the SG markings. No NPM markings.

There are other errors as well.

ryanr256 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanr256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 2:29pm

It looks like nobody corrected the naughty monkey since 2011.

The T3 hammer QHMC markings has the NPM markings. The Q.U. is a Underwood hammer. There is no AQ hammer.
NPM line has some of the SG markings. No NPM markings.

There are other errors as well.

Good to know. Thanks. I will correct my spreadsheet tonight.

-Bob
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 3:25pm
Standard OI stamping in your sling well, Ryan. The one I posted is so early it's almost never seen, but it's good to check since it's desirable and good to watch out for it.
ryanr256 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanr256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2021 at 6:20pm
Oh boy, did I ever mess up. I checked my notes and my spreadsheet and they both say the bolt is marked OI, with a 2. I think the UW came from the 15 round magazine.

So, it's an OI bolt with a number 2 marking also.

I've edited my original post with the correct info. I also added new markings:

Sear - SG-B
Safety - EI
Mag Release - E.I. and underlined M

I've got pics of the various markings, but I'll refrain from posting them unless someone specifically requests them.

Here are the dovetail and rear sight pics:

It looks like it's been staked but not very well.

Sorry about the confusion about the bolt. Major mess up on my part.

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256 - Mar 17 2021 at 9:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply