The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New here with 1st M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevysquid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here with 1st M1 Carbine
    Posted: Mar 13 2021 at 5:04pm
Hello all!
Just purchased my first m1 Carbine. It is a 1943 Saginaw. Still has the Buffalo Arms barrel dated June 43, and the stock with the saginaw (S'G') stamp and crossed cannons cartouche. There are no import stamps. It has a 'U' stamp on the left side of the stock which from my research Indicates it went through rework in the early 50's at Underwood. Which is where it probably got the bayonet lug and milled rear sight, as well as cut down the stock from high wood to low wood. I'm a newb with these rifles so please correct me if I am wrong about any of this!  The bayonet is the early version with leather stacked grips as well.  One of these days I will do a complete tear down and complete a data sheet. I spent 20 years in the Navy and have always been really interest in war history.  I love WWII history and the idea this rifle could have played a part of it, intrigues me. I also have a Sten MK2 I put together from a parts kit, and have an RPD in the works! Have a couple PPS-43 parts kit in the closet I will get to one of these days.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2021 at 6:27pm
Welcome to the forum Squid, your Saginaw is a Saginaw S'G' from the Grand Rapids plant.  Looking forward about hearing more about the parts inside.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2021 at 7:05pm
Welcome to the group. Looks like you got a nice one.  Thanks for sharing the photos
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2021 at 9:00pm
Welcome from a fellow S’G’ enthusiast - they are fascinating examples!
Impala12 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2021 at 12:40am
That is a nice looking carbine.

I also have a Saginaw Grand Rapids S' G'. Mine has an Underwood 8-43 barrel with all of it's original early parts with the exception of the stock which is from a Rockola. The stock is however of the same configuration as the original stock and looks good on the gun, so I will leave it as is until I can find a nice S'G' stock.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2021 at 12:49am
Chevy, what does the left rear detail look like?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2021 at 9:02am
Pics of the crossed cannons stamp would be good too.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply