The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hot loads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot loads
    Posted: Feb 28 2021 at 11:04pm
In Maryland they're allowing rifles that use "straight cases" to hunt for Deer as long as they have a muzzle energy of 1200 ft/lbs. I calculated it out. For 110 gr bullet I need at least 2220 fps. That'll take me just over. I think it would be cool to use the carbine for deer hunting. I figured someone probably has all of this data already. I can't seem to find it. Anyone know? The other question - is it safe?

I understand the law was supposed to include a M1 carbine. Someone apparently changed the requirements.

Thanks,
Rob

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2021 at 7:03am
It’s safe and easy to push a lighter 85-90 grain projectile up to 2400, but it’s pushing it a bit to bring a 110 up to 2200. Accurate publishes loads that take it close to that with pressures up around 43,000. Search out Accurate powder loads maybe under Western Powders.

The carbine was proofed at 140% over 40,000 psi, a factory fresh USGI carbine of course, but I would not want to push that on a routine basis.

From Western Load Data:

Accurate 4100, 15.5 grains, oal 1.68
Accurate Ramshot Enforcer, 15.8 grains, oal 1.68

Both these list mv of around 2175 and pressures around 43,000. These are the only two published loads I readily find....good luck on finding the powder.

Edited by floydthecat - Mar 01 2021 at 7:39am
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2021 at 10:14pm
I load and chronograph a lot of .30 Carbine and can tell you 1200 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy is going to require some serious load development. Lately I've been working with a 128 gr. RN from a Lyman 311576 mold and it would take 2060 fps MV to break the 1200 ft. lb. ME barrier. Doable, I suppose, and sin'ce I'm off tomorrow, I may have to try it!

I would suggest you buy a box of Buffalo Bore Ammunition 30 Carbine 125 Grain Hard Cast Lead which supposedly runs a 125 gr. cast FN bullet 2100 fps for 1225 fpe. Although they don't actually get 2100 in any of their test Carbines, the bullet weight and velocity are printed on the box, and I doubt a game warden is going to carry a chronograph with him and check your loads.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2021 at 5:27am
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

and I doubt a game warden is going to carry a chronograph with him and check your loads.

Seems like another confusing gun law. Not banning the use of the Carbine, yet requiring a load exceeding designed operating parameters of the round suggest just how brilliant the bureaucrats can be. 
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2021 at 9:41am
You are spot on! The greater the bureaucracy the greater the regulation and greater the level of nonsense.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2021 at 12:51pm
Another option is to find out whether that number is built into the legislation, the regulations, or an interpretation of the regulations.   If its the regs or something based on the regs, then there will be a procedure to request a change.   There should be some hunting and conservation groups that know the ropes and would be a big help.  

You may need to show the change is reasonable.   Many people still are under the impression that .30 carbine is "underpowered".  It would be worth reviewing Paul Harrell's video in preparation of having a point by point response to this misunderstanding.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2021 at 2:45pm
The standard load for a carbine is more powerful than the .357 Magnum. It certainly is powerful enough for whitetail deer.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2021 at 3:04pm
Does your state allow handgun hunting?  If so is there a spec for minimum muzzle energy? The state where I reside requires a minimum 500 ft/lbs of energy and no smaller than .30 cal. Maybe there is something there that could be argued if you decide to go the route  Matt_X View Drop Down
 suggested.

Post Reply Post Reply