Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EMF Erma's Firearm Manufacturing Serial #1321

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coup d'etat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EMF Erma's Firearm Manufacturing Serial #1321
    Posted: Feb 28 2021 at 2:17am
Greetings. This is my first post. I bought an M1 Garand a couple of days ago and the seller threw this into the deal for free. He told me it was unsafe to fire. Forgive me as I have yet to take any pics but I will tomorrow.
This what I know so far from taking it apart for inspection:

1) The rear adjustable sight is covering the maker of the carbine. I can just barely see an "E" on the left side and an "M" on the left under the rear sight.
2) Serial number is 1321
3) Rear sight is marked I.O.Co.
4) stock is heavily polyurethane coated  I will strip it later). Stock is SE Overton and it is M2 cut for the selector.
5) Trigger housing is "SA" Springfield Armory.
6) Barrel is MOCO and is mint. Bore is shiny like a mirror.
7) Front sight is R.I.A.
8) Hammer is Winchester.
9) mag release is "M" with a line underneath.
10) upper hand guard has one rivet per side.
11) Flat bolt
12) Push type safety.
13) No bayonet lug.

The receiver does not show the crude machining that is shown in other pics from the forum website in regards to EFM manufactured carbines..
Pics in process.....

Cheers, Coup
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2021 at 6:14pm
I'd like to know why he thought it was unsafe. Ermas are generally decent carbines. Unless it is cracked or stretched, it should be good. If I were you, I'd have it checked over by a good gun smith.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2021 at 6:23pm
The MIllville Ordnance Co.  "MOCO" barrel as best as I can tell has nothing to do with Ermas, so probably somebody was buying for the USGI parts and assembled what was left

As to the Ermas, Page two at the bottom

Known Issues with Erma's Firearms Manufacturing M1 Carbines

Receivers manufactured to U.S. Ordnance specifications are hardened to RC 38 on the Rockwell scale. These receivers were forged 4140 steel. The minimum acceptable hardness for commercial carbine receivers is RC 35 (refer The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Carbines, A Shop Manual, by Jerry Kuhnhausen, page 82). The advertisements by Erma's Manufacturing indicate they used 4130 steel. All but the earliest receivers were castings.

Three Erma's Manufacturing receivers have been hardness tested to date. The serial numbers range from 1300 to 1550. Using two separate Rockwell C scale testers, all three receivers tested less than 10. This is consistent with the receivers having never been hardened.

It is clear from the number of receivers observed that are bent and/or deformed around the breach and along the right side of the receiver between the bolt and slide, the receivers made and used by Erma's Manufacturing are consistent with having never been hardened. This is a serious safety issue. Over time the receiver will worsen until it fails completely. The deformity of the breach area can lead to improper headspace and catastrophic failure of the carbine during firing, which could include serious injury to the shooter and/or anyone nearby.

It is strongly recommended these receivers be inspected by a gunsmith before they are used. The gunsmith may determine the receiver can be hardened and refinished, rendering it safe to be used. He will need to know the receiver was cast from 4130 steel.

So yes, do get a qualified gunsmith to check the hardness of the receiver as well as for any damage or problems

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2021 at 7:00pm
Hi Coup,

Look forward to seeing your pics. Erma's Mfg was consistent with the barrels they used. It's possible EFM picked up a few MOCO barrels but I'm thinking more likely an owner of the carbine put the MOCO barrel on it.

As I was typing this Dan posted the info on why the EFM carbines were unsafe. Strongly recommend you have it safety inspected by a competent gunsmith before shooting it.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply