Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S'G' Parts??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrojack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S'G' Parts??
    Posted: Feb 25 2021 at 9:29am
Hey Fellow Carbine Collectors,

I have been collecting and restoring M1 carbines for about 15 years, but only recently tackled restoring an S'G' M1 carbine.  My question is this. . . . why is it so damned hard to find some S'G' parts, especially mag releases, safeties, and butt plates?? I can find triggers, hammers, sears, and slides almost every day on gunbroker or eBay (never mind the veracity of some parts seen there), but trying to find those former parts just seems to be impossible!  Any thoughts on this, new sources to find parts, etc?  Thanks!!

Burrojack (aka John Stallone)
JnS
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2021 at 9:58am
Consider all the carbines that went through a rebuild program where certain parts like the mag catch and safety was replaced by the newer versions.

Then consider that Irwin Pedersen did not have any of their carbines accepted by Ordnance. Saginaw Steering Gear was given their contract and the Grand Rapids facility to check, repair and rebuild the IP carbines as well as produce their own carbines in this facility in addition to their Saginaw facility.

We see IP and S'G' carbines that could have had either of the respective parts codes out of the GR facility.

Some sought out the "rarest" carbine that did not pass Ordnance inspection, until Saginaw fixed them. This drove up prices and others would strip these parts off other carbine and sell them.

The supply and demand increased and now those other parts you see are reproduced.
Be careful who you buy from!

And by the way , the IP is not the rarest variation carbine, just the most publicized.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2021 at 10:47am
Well, consider that S'G' parts were ever only a small % of total parts made; as pointed out above, some were likely scrapped when "upgraded" at govt. arsenals and facilities.

Then think about the current "demand" - for "restoring" S'G' carbines; parts are sold and then effectively taken out of the market when used by a collector. They won't/don't appear again until the "corrected" carbine surfaces as a whole or is stripped for its valuable parts.

It really is simple:
 a fixed and decreasing supply; a steady or increasing demand for the scarcer marked carbine parts- fueled by forums like this one. Big smile
Don
burrojack View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrojack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2021 at 10:21am
Thanks for your helpful reply! The only thing I don't understand is why mag releases and safeties are so hard to find whereas triggers and sears appear with some regularity. . . . .those aren't all fake are they??'
If you could recommend anyone reputable as source for S'G" part, I'd be grateful!

Thanks,  Burrojack
JnS
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2021 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by burrojack burrojack wrote:

Thanks for your helpful reply! The only thing I don't understand is why mag releases and safeties are so hard to find whereas triggers and sears appear with some regularity. . . . .those aren't all fake are they??'
If you could recommend anyone reputable as source for S'G" part, I'd be grateful!

Thanks,  Burrojack

It's explained by the rebuild process, those triggers and sears were usable parts while the mag catches and safeties were deprecated and updated to the later versions for functional and reliability reasons. These are some of the hardest parts to locate for any manufacturer as well as flip sights.
 Post Reply Post Reply