Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Other Wartime Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CMP 1911?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMP 1911?
    Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 8:41am
I am considering putting my name in the hat and submitting the CMP paperwork for the next round of 1911 pistols. 

I thought you all would be a great group to help me think about it.

A good shooter is what I want. Plus, I'd want one with matching slide and frame.
I have a 1952 Colt Commander and I had the sights changed to ones I could see. I'd probably want/need to do the same thing with any CMP 1911.

Part of me would like a 1940's vintage gun. But, if I am going to change sights, I might be better off buying a newer Colt 1911 that already has decent sights on it.

For my first M1 carbine I intentionally purchased one that had an adjustable rear sight because I wanted a shooter

I'll gladly take any advice you have for me!

Thank you!

Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 9:07am
 If you get one from CMP there is no guarantee you will get a matching slide and frame . I've seen some WWII Era 1911a1 pistols on  GB with updated sights for aprox the same price as a CMP would cost.  1911a1 National Match pistols come up on CMP auction site from time to time. I have 5 WWII Era pistols 1 that I shoot, I like them best but I have Colt, S&W and Kimber 1911 that are  more accurate and have better sights . The WWII Era that I shoot is an AA rebuilt Ithaca it was about the same price as my Kimber a little more Than S&W.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 9:21am
They probably all shoot fine. A handful posted about during the first run were keepers, imo. It may be worth taking a chance that you'll get one of those but it's doubtful it'll have the correct slide. The one I got was pretty ugly and luckily someone bailed me out of it. The slide was replacement and worn so much you had to study to find the horse.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 10:06am
If you just want one with a provenance, go for it. If you want a good matching shooter, you might just as well forget it. Those guns have been rebuilt several times and most are reparked and well worn.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 10:13am
Hi, I am happy with mine. I got a 1911 Colt made in 1918. It was redone once by the Springfield Armory. My cousin got his and hated it. It was a Remington frame with a replaced  Colt "hard slide", with Austrian military markings, both shoot good. And a  jerk I know got his and sold it in one day for $1500. I think for the price you can't get a nicer US GI, 1911 , regards and good luck, Mike.

Mine:

My cousins':

Edited by Uncle Mike - Feb 24 2021 at 10:30pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 12:02pm
Mine was a WW2 Colt, but has a  later replacement Colt hard slide, and unknown replacement barrel.
 Marked BH with the federal eagle which is the Austrian Bundesheer.

If these are anything like the Bavarian returned carbines it might be mostly correct, but it has been refinished and the markings are not readily evident.

I have not shot it but would expect it to be fine as it was a service grade.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 1:09pm
If you're only after a shooter I don't think you would be disappointed in a CMP 1911. The one I received was just that, a refinished service grade early Ithaca with a new Israeli TZ hard slide. Very tight, no rattle, feels like a new pistol. Dry as a bone, pulled straight from it's sealed tomb.
Just like any CMP lottery there have been some real collector gems sent out. But be prepared for replacement post ww2 parts, potential heavy blasting, etc. Most likely you won't get a mfg matching slide/frame. Overall at the price point I think they are a fair deal.
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2021 at 7:04am
Thanks everyone!

Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2021 at 11:33am
if you are going to send in the paperwork, you better do it ASAP and send it FedEx or ups to make sure it arrives by March 4th. That is the cutoff.  I sent my packet in on 1/6.  If I get selected I will post photos and info.  
palmettopilot View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2021 at 4:52pm
I sent a packet in for this lottery as well. We'll see. 
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2021 at 7:53am
I'm still thinking about it. I may go a new 1911 route-one in 9mm. My 9MM ammo supply is 10X that of my 45 ACP supply.

My 1952 Colt Commander was built in the first year of Commander production. It has an early aluminum frame. The pistol was developed to give Korean War GI's a lighter version of the 1911. It scratches my 45 ACP itch fairly well.

The bids on the 1911's in the current CMP auction are mind boggling-at least to me. Same for an unissued M1 Garand-$4K-wow! But then, I am amazed to see the prices for just about everything these days!
Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by 101Abn 101Abn wrote:

I'm still thinking about it. I may go a new 1911 route-one in 9mm. My 9MM ammo supply is 10X that of my 45 ACP supply.

My 1952 Colt Commander was built in the first year of Commander production. It has an early aluminum frame. The pistol was developed to give Korean War GI's a lighter version of the 1911. It scratches my 45 ACP itch fairly well.

The bids on the 1911's in the current CMP auction are mind boggling-at least to me. Same for an unissued M1 Garand-$4K-wow! But then, I am amazed to see the prices for just about everything these days!
 Hi, if you submit your paper work you  will get a number. If you miss the cut off you are out of luck. If after careful consideration you can, " decline the nomination". They will call you when it's you turn. This could take a year or more. I know someone that waited 2 years. Here are 2 links to what I got.

Post Reply Post Reply