Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marlin (?) Type V Stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EliJosephs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin (?) Type V Stock
    Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 10:01pm
I have a stock for an M1/M2 carbine, clearly a Type V stock. In the sling cutout in the normal spot, is marked an upside-down "M." I do not believe it is a W due to the fact that both sides are parallel, and not angled like a W. 

On the left of the buttstock is marked "AN" and nothing else. 

On the front of the grip is marked a large "P", and on the bottom of the grip in the normal proof mark location is a faint "8" or "9" stamped in, and appears to have been partially roughly sanded off. 

The right side of the buttstock appears to have been sanded or planed, possibly to remove some other markings. 

This is an old surplus stock, I don't think it has ever been in private hands although it may have been a Korean stock. 

Am I correct in identifying this as a possible Marlin stock? Why in the "M" upside down? Why would the bottom have been stamped with a single digit number then ground/sanded off?

I can take pictures of the other markings if this seems interesting enough to merit them. I had a hard time capturing the markings on such dark wood with my camera and lighting. The stock is lightly oiled, it came to me completely dry and covered in filth. 

EDIT: The AN is most likely a rebuild mark from Anniston Arsenal, as well as the large P stamped on the front of the grip. Does this make it a likely Korean era stock?

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 12:02am
I've also thought these were Marlin made replacements. Possible late WWII replacements, but I have no proof. Often found with a small Bomb in them and if deeply stamped the M is Serif.
Have seen many of these Falsely 'Offered up' as WRA M2 stocks
M2 cut, long barrel channel and have the extra support cut for the Recoil plate. Much less pronounced 'Potbelly' than the HI Type V stocks.

M and Bomb:

M and Bomb on top.
HI on bottom.

HTH,
Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 11:24am
What do these look like under the buttplate?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 1:58pm
3 holes under butt plate.
Extra recoil plate support cut.
Long barrel channel 4-1/4+"
Thick right rail 1/8"+
M2 cut
Pretty Flat bottom profile.
There is no angle cut at the front of the slingwell cut out

Have dealt with many that thought they had WRA Type V stocks.

PS: Have seen them with the M and Bomb. Also seen with just the M, some with Rebuild Armory stamps, some with Korean paint jobs.

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 3:38pm
Highly unlikely they are Winchester stocks.

It is one of the few stocks I do not have an example of so I cannot compare then to others.

Did you ever compare the hole spacing to the M-U or Winchester stock?

How do they compare to the unmarked pot belly stocks that have the two extra holes?

Post Reply Post Reply