Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine with a history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NV MARINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine with a history
    Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 5:58pm
    This is my first post to this group about the carbine that I was given by my step father who brought it back from France when he served in WWII. He was a pilot that flew B 25 bombers and was at an Allied air field set up after the invasion. After returning from a mission he and another pilot were walking across a field where the other pilot stepped on a land mine and was killed. My step father was seriously injured and spent thirteen months in the hospital recovering from his injuries. When he was well enough to travel back to the states he had his belongings packed in his foot locker to be sent home. In the foot locker was the carbine and his 1911 45 cal. pistol. Before he passed about ten years ago he gave me the carbine and the 1911 pistol he gave to his grandson.
     Until recently I was unaware that there was much interest in the old carbines but after doing a little research on the internet I came across this forum for the carbine club. I purchased the M1 carbine book by Craig Riesch so I could get a little more knowledge about the carbine and get to know about its origins. They certainly have a very interesting and complicated history!  
     I don’t believe this carbine has seen much use as you can see that it is very good shape for a firearm that is over 75 years old. I have fired it a few times and found it to operate perfectly and is still quite accurate. Being an Inland that has a barrel date of 11-43 and serial number that would match that date I would guess it is a fairly common carbine as there were so many made at that time. One thing that seems odd to me is that the stock was made by Rock-ola with about everything else being Inland. Is it possible that Inland could have gotten stocks from Rock-ola?
     I am putting together a data sheet as I learn more about how to identify the parts of the carbine. Any thoughts or questions you have are very much appreciated. I will post pictures the best I can. Thanks

Edited by New2brass - Feb 23 2021 at 7:15pm
NV MARINE View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV MARINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 6:56pm
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6490/IMGP2561_2.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6490/IMGP2570.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6490/IMGP2563.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6490/IMGP2580.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6490/IMGP2560_2.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6490/IMGP2568.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6490/IMGP2571.JPG

NV MARINE View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV MARINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 6:58pm
Having trouble with uploading the pictures. I'm not very good at this.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 7:01pm
You did great! It gets easier.

Nice looking carbine!
NV MARINE View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV MARINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 7:18pm
A few more pictures including my step father.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 9:04pm
Very nice.
It will get easier to identify part variations as you become more familiar.
I found Riesch helpful guide after struggling with several other books.  But now some of those other books are the ones I turn to for more info.
Have you seen this post with corrections, and notes?

As far as the RMC stamp in the sling well, War Baby! notes there is a record of 10,000 stocks transfered to Inland from Rock-ola.   However....November 1943 seems late for a stock with an I oiler slot.   So ?????   Maybe the guys with more knowledge have further insight.

For photos. I've started experimenting with propping white boards to reflect light onto the photo area.  Definately not easy to get to take great photos.  Yours are clear and sharp - nothing to apologize about. 

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 9:15pm
Thats a beautiful Inland! Enjoyed reading your story and the photos. The RMC stock has an Inland CC acceptance stamp so it did leave Inland on your rifle I'm sure.
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 9:25pm
In the picture of the sling well you can see an I indicating this is a Rock Ola stock sent to Inland. Very nice carbine.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 12:17pm
RMC I cut stocks have been observed late in production. Anyone want tot take a stab as to why?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

RMC I cut stocks have been observed late in production. Anyone want tot take a stab as to why?

Because there were 30,000 RMC reject stocks that were sent to Overton to be fixed and eventually sent to Inland.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 5:13pm
 IBM got some too at aprox the same time as Inland.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 5:20pm
Let me reword that, Some I cut stocks have been observed in late RMC production.
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 7:59pm
Cleaning up leftover inventory to cut expenses
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 11:44pm
wow--if family misfortune would happen I would be a buyer-that is a keeper at all costs but am serious--is nicest I-cut rmc inland i have seen --BQ97 has second best
 Post Reply Post Reply