Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Updates on GR Butt Plates?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Updates on GR Butt Plates?
    Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 11:15pm
I've run across the 2nd Italian CMP returned Fat 63 (?) Carbine with a GR Butt Plate.
Just PM'd the owner to see if it's the 1st or 2nd version listed on the Butt Plate ID page.
Anyone heard any updates on maker or supplier?
Possibly Italian part ?

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 7:21pm
Still no leads on this one. Will note on an Italian marked stock
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 7:35pm
Yoopercollector from Milsurps, passed along that he had sent you the info about the one I posted about here.

I had asked:

Your FAT 63 ITALIAN CARBINE GR Butt plate

I stumbled across your old post from 2015 when you 1st picked up your Fat Carbine.
It's the GR Butt Plate I'm curious about.
I'm wondering if the GR Butt Plate was made by or for the Italians. The FAT 63 stamped on the stock means the Italian military and police went thru it.
Many of these went to the Italian national armory over the post WWII years to be checked and or rebuilt.
If it had a full rebuild the barrel was stamped with the FAT under the hand guard on top of the very rear of the barrel. Yours not being Import stamped means it probably came thru the CMP.
Did the stock have the M2 cuts? Any chance it was marked SA on the top front barrel channel nose on the left ?
Just curious because I see we don't yet know who made/supplied the GR Butt Plates. I've seen 1 other FAT return that reported a GR Plate....... So just wondering if it's possible the Italians supplied it.

Above is edited version.

2-19 he replied:
Still have the carbine. There is no M2 cut out, no FAT on barrel and no SA on stock. I sent photos to new2brass about a year ago in response to his PM. I had to email them to him but he never let me know if he got them.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 8:34pm
There were 2 reports of the GR buttplates after we published the article, both loose

Chris emailed me pictures 2/17/19
the following day I replied to his email thanking him. He followed up same day with an answer to my question about the sling-well marking.

So that is a total of 5 reports, only one on a FAT marked stock. All other avenues we looked at were dead ends.

We had hoped having them on the butt plate page more reports would follow.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2021 at 9:15pm
Well Dan,
About all we can do is keep stabbing at any leads.
Maybe offer a 'Reward'

Ch-P777
 Post Reply Post Reply