The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plainfield carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plainfield carbine
    Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 12:54pm
Hello,
I was looking up my carbines on this site, and found my Plainfield rifle has a serial number higher than the serial number listed on the site. My rifle has a serial number that is Z 963 vs the Z 944 listed. My rifle is not blued, it looks stainless/nickel, and to me looks like a factory finish. Could this be factory? 
Thanks
Rick

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 2:08pm
Plainfield had what they called a “satin blue”. I don’t think they ever produced a stainless version. Iver Johnson and Universal did. Maybe what you have done is discovered a new highest serial number noted. I am sure you also read where they did produce a chrome plated presentation model. Is it a chance that this is one?

Pictures?
mooreguncrazy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 2:55pm
Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's chrome, not shinny. The finish on it, to me, looks just like the pictures for the Iver Johnson stainless models that are shown on the site. If approval is granted, I could post some pictures to see what you think.
Thanks
Rick
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 3:17pm
The web page administrators will surely be interested in confirming the sn and updating the Plainfield database.

What is the history of the gun? Think it could have been plated at some point. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 3:43pm
Hello,
I really don't know the rifles history. I picked it up a few years ago at a gun show. If someone refinished it, they did a pretty nice job. I'll try to post pictures. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 3:46pm
Based on that pix....I vote for a matte-finish nickel plating or maybe some sort of coating?

I can see some pitting on the metal hand guard that appears to have been covered with “something”.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 3:58pm
Hello,
There is small scattered specks in the metal when you look real close. The barrel is smooth and a little brighter than the rest of the finish.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 4:02pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 4:16pm
The barrel does have a high-finish. I agree that whoever did whatever did a good job. I would assume that is a commercial or aftermarket barrel-band.

Have you had it apart to check the innards?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 4:21pm
Hello,
Yes it's a pretty nice little carbine, glad to have it. I assume the barrel band is commercial, but it does have a KVB swivel.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 4:26pm
Really never broke it down to check internal markings. Here's a picture of the band/swivel.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 4:41pm
Here is my IJ in a Jewel Bros. stock.

The butt plate, hand guard and slide are bright-polished. Everything else is a matte stainless finish.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 4:50pm
Hello,                                                                                                                                             Oh yeah, nice looking carbine. I wish I had the money when I was young to have nice guns like these. These rifles seemed to be everywhere back then, scarce around here now. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 5:37pm
The buttplate on mine is black plastic held with 2 phillips head screws, the recoil plate has a phillips head screw also.  
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by mooreguncrazy mooreguncrazy wrote:

The buttplate on mine is black plastic held with 2 phillips head screws, the recoil plate has a phillips head screw also.  

That is classic Plainfield.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 6:37am
Hi Rick

Roger called it right. Someone had the original finish re-coated with a satin nickel finish. Then polished a few of the parts. Looks like they did a nice job. Done right, satin nickel looks just like stainless steel and provides a much better protective coating than bluing.

Satin nickel is just a coating and the metal underneath can still rust. So it needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Mossberg's Model 590 Mariner shotgun has a satin nickel finish they call Marinecoat to protect it from water. Long ago I had a Colt Combat Commander in factory original satin nickel.

I've updated the web page to indicate your serial number has the highest seen so far in the Z block.

Thanks much for sharing. Neat carbine.

Jim
Mooreguncrazy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooreguncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 8:37am
Hello, Sorry it took so long to respond. The ice storm ,since Monday, has destroyed our area. No power yet, just got water and cell service back. Thanks for checking out my carbine, and adding its serial number. I also have a Colt Commander .45acp in satin nickel, and a 1950 era Colt Super .38, also in satin nickel. Those are really nice also.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image