The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Kansas (new pics)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Kansas (new pics)
    Posted: Feb 08 2021 at 7:16pm

I have been lurking on here for a while and have finally decided to join. I have two M1 carbines. The first is an Underwood. Inside it has a lot of SA parts in the trigger group. I picked it up at a farm auction for under $200, and was happy as can be, even 20 years ago!! This one will stay exactly like it is. 

The other one I got from a guy who needed some money. He said it had had ‘some work’ done to it. He had a little Ruger 22 pistol, the carbine and some ‘ammo’.’He was asking for $200. Nearly 15 years ago, and after seeing the M1, I thought I was being pretty generous! He was a co-worker who needed money. It is a National Postal Meter. The surprise was that the box of ammo, which I didn’t look in for a couple of months, had nearly 2000 rounds of 30 cal ammo.

The NP had been sporterized! It had a hunting rifle stock and a different front sight. I am going to try and make this baby look right again! I have the sight off of the barrel, but the ridge that is just behind the sight has been milled off. But you can see the date and the flaming bomb that is on what I assume is an Underwood barrel. So this one will be a fun project.

Mark

Edited by Mschro79 - Feb 09 2021 at 6:19pm
Mark
Go Navy! USNS Mercy DS/DS
Best movie line ever! 'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!' -Fletcher
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2021 at 5:53am
Welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses.  I'll say it before others do, post some pics.  Just curious, what headstamps are on the ammo?
Mschro79 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2021 at 6:17pm
A few pictures of my Underwood. Serial #1366xxx. I do have a question about the 'black' receiver, I have been told that there was a charcoal parkerizing done during the Korean War. True? 

Most of the ammo was a commercial brand. Then there is several hundred rounds with assorted head stamps, both soft point and ball ammo. Most are LC 52, there is also LC 56, WRA 51 and WMN 7.62x33 59. The LC 56 looks almost like if has aluminum cases, it definitely isn't nickel plated brass. Tell me it is ultra rare and worth $1m!!! WinkBig smile

The National Postal Meter is at a friends who will parkerized the barrel for me.

Mark
Best movie line ever! 'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!' -Fletcher
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2021 at 6:29pm
Check the LC56 with a magnet. It could be some of the steel cased ammo. As far as the "black" receiver goes, it is probably the dark WWII parkerizing; manganese I think. Not an unusual color. BTW, take apart one o0f the 7.62X33 rounds. Look to see if it has one flash hole or two. If two, there is a good chance it is corrosive and you might not want to use it in the carbine. It could play havoc with the gas system.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Mschro79 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2021 at 6:57pm
Thanks!!
I will check it, but I doubt I will ever fire it. It hasn't held up well over the years. A fair amount of corrosion. 
Mark
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2021 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Mschro79 Mschro79 wrote:

WMN 7.62x33 59. 

Are you sure that head stamp is not NWM? If it is NWM ammo was made in the Netherlands.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Mschro79 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2021 at 7:59pm
You are correct! I would try to blame it on poor eyesight or a typo, but that would be too easy!
Mark
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2021 at 9:11pm
Corroded ammo, does brass deteriorate like the steel stuff?

Is that a 4 or 6 mil Underwood?

as far as I know Underwood parkerizing was of the lighter shades. A good example is that barrel
Mschro79 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 8:28am
Took me a while to find a magnet, but it is steel cased ammo. I just haven't seen the dull silver color these have. Usually, it is a darker color, like Tula ammo. I assume it wasn't stored well before I got it, and it isn't terrible. I will probably just put it aside, I have enough good ammo and it is expensive (and cold) to shoot now anyway.

The serial number is 1366222, so it is an early Underwood. 

Would any of you consider refinishing the receiver?
Mark
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 8:50am
"Would any of you consider refinishing the receiver?"
I would leave it as is. But that is your decision, not mine.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 9:30am
Based on the barrel date it is not original to the receiver.

I have to agree with Smokepole.

Reparking it will not make it more original. The finish on it looks OK, but to dlast it and refinish it again will just muddy the machining and make it look, well, refinished
Mschro79 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 9:40am
Thanks guys! My plan was to leave it as it is. 
Mark
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 11:35am
Mscro, is the year on the barrel 43 or 44?
I based the barrel as not being original by seeing a 44, but on another device it is inconclusive
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 12:29pm
It very much looks like a 44 barrel date, right down to the larger proof P they would have been using then. But if I stare at it for a few seconds it looks just like a 43 date. Interesting.
Mschro79 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 2:06pm
the barrel date is 2-44. What are you thoughts on the P that is on the barrel?  It looks like it was etched in the barrel. It is a little hard to see in the pic above.

Mark
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2021 at 4:18pm
Looks like a slightly light strike to me. Look at it with a magnifier. If the lathe cut ridges are crushed then it is just a light strike.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply