Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Butt plate Manufacturer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butt plate Manufacturer
    Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 1:30pm
  I am having a hard time trying to figure out what Manufacturer made this Butt plate. I think it my have come off of a Winchester stock. I compared it to info on this site but , holy cow its confusing.Thank you with any help or knowledge on these. 

http://i.imgur.com/IAzLbEr.jpg[/img][/url]

blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2021 at 2:13am
Better pictures would help (it appears the planes of the image and buttplate are not parallel and focus is off - try MACRO mode) but as is it appears to my eyes to be most consistent with a Winchester origin.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2021 at 9:58am
Teach a man to fish...
The key with butt plates is to start with the pattern around the screw hole. Some have partial or missing dots in a pattern that makes them stand out from each other.

In the case of IBM you might not notice right away but the row just below the screw hole it appears that there are 4 complete dots, meaning the circle does not cut into them. It is as if dots are missing above them

In your case I see no missing dots, so I will make it easier for you.  Look at the 9 and 3 O'clock positions  and compare to Winchester and Inland/SG butt plates.

Let me know your thoughts
MeLade View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeLade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 2:07pm
  Thank you for your help. Sorry for the not so good picture quality. I see what your saying about IBM but it also is pretty close to NPM.. To my eyes. The top two Winchester have an almost star like pattern to them. Mine is off centered like the bottom one of the Winchester group and the pattern is very similar to this one. It looks more like an Inland but I can confused like the NOTEs says.
    The other butt plate looks more like a NPM. Its missing the top two. Or more like a square shape to it. A little different then the SP. 
  So the my first plate, I think may be an Inland or maybe a SG ) and the second one pictured here looks more like a NPM.  

Post Reply Post Reply