Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Heirloom IBM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CM_Seabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Heirloom IBM
    Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 8:52am
I was recently handed down my grandfathers IBM M1 Carbine, which I am super excited about since I am a retired Navy Seabee and the Seabees in WWII carried a lot of the carbines.  The link below is all of the documentation that has been handed down with the weapon.  Sometime soon I will try to get some good photos of the rifle itself, as well as filling out a datasheet to the best of my abilities.  It is definitely a post war rebuild.  As you can see from the scans he purchased the rifle with an NRA Voucher in 1965, and aside from my grandfather, my father is the only other owner of this rifle. Questions, comments, and concerns are welcome and encouraged.  ENJOY!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ziFCx3TzoiqZPxV6
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 9:02am
Congratulations and thank you for your service. Can't wait to see some pictures.
Is the barrel an IBM Corp. 11-43 dated barrel? 

CM_Seabee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CM_Seabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 9:06am

no it's an Underwood barrel 6-44, if I remember correct.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 11:26am
I love the background documentation.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2021 at 11:53am
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing pictures of your IBM. Have fond memories of working with SeaBees.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
CM_Seabee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CM_Seabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 12:04pm
All,
I have updated the album with a few pics of the carbine.  I will work at getting a scan of a completed datasheet soon.  Enjoy.
Here is the link again:
1258combatengineer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 3:33pm
nice rifle 
Having all the documentation makes it even better.
Really neat
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 5:58pm
it’s a nice looking piece of history.  The documentation you have is a big plus.  
Retired First Sergeant, U.S. Army
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
CM_Seabee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CM_Seabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2021 at 7:55am
The album has been updated with a completed datasheet.  If anyone has any questions/concerns.  Let me know. thanks!
Retired Petty Officer 1st Class
US Navy Seabees
CM_Seabee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CM_Seabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2021 at 1:15pm
I forgot that I also had a partial box of GI issue ammo.  Marked “WCC 43”.  Photos added to the album.
Retired Petty Officer 1st Class
US Navy Seabees
 Post Reply Post Reply