Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

could this LT-Q hammer be brass?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: could this LT-Q hammer be brass?
    Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 12:32pm
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
burrojack View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote burrojack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 12:45pm
Reed, it looks to me like it was (is) an in the white hammer that just got discolored, perhaps by heating (for what reason I don't know). Brass is pretty soft metal, you could try scratching with a nail in an inconspicuous place and see if brass color persists below surface, but I doubt it is brass.
JnS
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 1:19pm
The color is the evidence of case hardening, which was the heat treatment specified for this part.    
JackP
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 1:48pm
Not related to the color, but the milling at the bottom and the raised look of the lettering reminds me of a reproduction.

Just my opinion.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 3:01pm
a magnet has no attraction to brass.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 3:08pm
GREAT THINKING!!!
Tested, and it does attract.
Mystery solved.
Thanks much everyone. 
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 3:23pm
Col, You should find some interesting odds and ends.

It looks like what George has currently listed on GB. Maybe someone cooked this one it too long?

Comparison pics:

Forgot how to down size and load, so here's a link to a Dog leg LT-Q:

Below, one listed on Ebay:

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 4:23pm
Looks like was heated to me- the crispy deposits look burnt and are starting to peel off. Wondering if someone attempted to burn cosmoline off this hammer.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 4:25pm
I will attempt to clean it up and post pic again. Probably tomorrow.
Thanks much for the inputs. 
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 12:25pm
Hammer has been cleaned some, at least the black gunk was removed. 
Appearance is like a case hardening. Would guess due to heat treat?

Edited by New2brass - Jan 22 2021 at 1:10pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

It looks like what George has currently listed on GB. Maybe someone cooked this one it too long?

+1

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 7:44am
Originally posted by colreed colreed wrote:

Hammer has been cleaned some, at least the black gunk was removed. 
Appearance is like a case hardening. Would guess due to heat treat?

Like I stated earlier, the letters in the 1st picture remind me so much of a reproduction, either from George or some other seller. If you look at some of George's auctions on GB for instance you can see he "ages" barrel bands for sure and I have no doubt other items too. Of course I don't mind being wrong, it's part of collecting in particular and life in general.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 8:30am
Agree it looks a bit suspicious. But then I wonder why someone would fake an inexpensive part? It wasn't that long ago I bought a good used one for around $20. Even with the carbine parts mania I'd imagine you could still get one for $30-35 tops.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 9:10am
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Agree it looks a bit suspicious. But then I wonder why someone would fake an inexpensive part? It wasn't that long ago I bought a good used one for around $20. Even with the carbine parts mania I'd imagine you could still get one for $30-35 tops.

Agreed, but there are reproduction Inland straight hammers out there and those are easily found, even more so than an LT-Q hammer.

All the reproduction stuff on the market and the costs of certain parts in general is the main reason I only replace furniture and that's about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply