Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland possible special find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland possible special find
    Posted: Jan 16 2021 at 2:36am
OK... so bear with me as I am both giddy and a bit heart broken at the moment as I try to compose my thoughts. In my usual perusing of stuff for sale I found an Inland that appears to have very little wear (might be arsenal refurbed) and has a deep dark patina. I put it on my interested list and went back later and looked at it further and realized it is an Inland 7,000,000 that appears to be machine marked CAL.30 M2. I am going to try and look at it hands on tomorrow, it does not have a selector lever but it does appear to have a slot in the stock and a sloped hold open pin slot...

I am just looking at a world of trouble here, aren't I??? Its not listed as what I think it is... If its registered that would be magnificent. If its not I think I have to report it. So heart broken, but I also so want it!
1258combatengineer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2021 at 8:58am
this same thing happened to me in 2003 at a pawn shop in my hometown
I went to buy a carbine and didnt know anything about them but it had m2 stamped on the receiver
I read all m2's are full auto in the eyes of the gov.
No matter if they have been changed back to semi with parts change.
The receiver is still FA.  
When i looked it up and told the pawn shop they gave me my money back and pulled it off the shelf.   Never knew what happened to it.
Didnt report anything, didnt know what to do so i left it alone.
Just my story...

03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2021 at 9:05am
Yep,
"trouble".Cry
Don
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2021 at 9:17am
Let the seller know and leave it at that. It is the sellers responsibility to take care of it. You have no obligation to investigate or "right" the situation. I would not go to examine it, etc. That's my .02.
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 3:49pm
Yessir.  Once a M2, always an M2 regardless of the current configuration.
Retired First Sergeant, U.S. Army
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 5:00pm
Yeah, I finally got thru to the auction house today and asked if the Inland had a registration... "Ah well, why would it need that?" Because it's a M2 carbine, it's a machine gun. I'd really like to bid on it but it has to be registered. "Ah well, it doesn't have a selector lever." But that doesn't matter, it's a M2 receiver. (And wondering how did you already know it didn't have a selector lever if pleading ignorance?). "Ah well, that listing was suppose to have been pulled down..."

And they finally pulled it a few hours later... Sadly it sounds like it probably wasn't registered. A lot of stuff at this particular auction house comes from police seizures and out of state bulk sales. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will come back up again with proper paperwork. It looked like a really pristine example.
345 desoto View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 345 desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 8:45am
Well...could you let us in on the Auction sight?
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 345 desoto 345 desoto wrote:

Well...could you let us in on the Auction sight?

And how would that help? Respectfully, enough has been said already about the situation.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 10:50am
Originally posted by choprboy choprboy wrote:

. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will come back up again with proper paperwork. It looked like a really pristine example.

If it has proper paperwork you are looking at 10 - 20k
345 desoto View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 345 desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 10:58am
Why Carbines? - So I could view the site...
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 1:28pm
345Desoto, my thought is not to expose the identity of the seller/holder of a potentially illegal firearm is all. Like I said too much has been brought up already, but if you'd like to PM the OP that's fine.
Quark's View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quark's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 8:51pm
Glad I read this post. I won't buy a M2 marked carbine if I see one. But, I have not seen one as of yet.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2021 at 1:39am
So, if I stamp "M16" on my AR15 receiver, that makes it a full auto in the eyes of the ATF?

03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2021 at 1:45am
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

So, if I stamp "M16" on my AR15 receiver, that makes it a full auto in the eyes of the ATF?

No,
not unless you add the third hole or an "auto sear".Shocked
Don
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 11:01pm
The ATF has two rules which impact the M1/M2 carbine.

One addresses the front ring marking specifically, even thought in manufacture, dimensions etc they are identical.

the second pertains to parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machine gun.

To complicate matters it seems that at some point a 2 was over stamped on the front of the receiver. The ATF then considers this to be a machine gun even absent the conversion parts. As crazy as it sounds, you might wind up in hot water if you were to stamp a number 2 over the 1 on an M1 carbine receiver.

Mind you that the military did not care how a carbine was marked. It was defined by features. If it had a selector and the other parts it was an M2

If it was in a folding stock it was an M1a1

If it was mounted to an infrared scope on it then it would be called an M3. Did not matter the carbines firing capability.

Post Reply Post Reply