Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hillerich & Bradsby plugged stocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hillerich & Bradsby plugged stocks
    Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 9:42pm
I have two Hillerich & Bradsby HI marked stocks that have a bunch of wood plugs that appear original. Anyone else have or see any like this? One is a type 3 oval cut low wood and the other is a type 5 M2 stock. These show no signs of sanding & refurbishment with cross cannons intact, etc. Very neatly done. Perhaps they were getting low on wood and using whatever they could get fixing small knots or other issues?

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 10:13pm
One of my old carbines is for sale on a well known site and it has a similar salvaging repair done to it, but more on the forearm part not on the butt end. Hillerich and Bradsby had some mad woodworking skills.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 11:10pm
Have seen the Dowel type repairs before also.
I stripped the korean paint job off a RMC I cut that had a knot hole puttied over.
The putty didn't hold up:

I've seen quite a few Dutchman patches that weren't visible until stripping the finish.
Here are 2 Dutchman's on a Robert Irwin RSG on a Type II S'G' stock:

I've got a Photobucket album full of pictures of these but it's being held for Ransom.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2021 at 8:38am
They definitely look like repairs to knots and other defects in the "bottom of the barrel" walnut . 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2021 at 9:08am
The dowel patches/plugs are pretty easy to do; but the workmanship of the "dutchmen" is amazing.
Don
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 7:04pm
One more masterfully plugged S-HB stock, captured on GB a few weeks ago.

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 7:55am
Looks like there was no attempt to match the plug with the stock.
Just saying.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply