The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Spam Can"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Spam Can"?
    Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 1:58pm
What is a "Spam Can". I know it's 30 carbine ammo, but that's all I know.
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:05pm
They are just called "spam cans" as a slang term because they are the type of ammo cans that are sealed like a can of Spam.  They are not reusable after opening because the seal is destroyed.  There is a pull-tab that peels the can open.
Chad
USN Retired
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:08pm
Thank you.

Who made the ammo and is it considered good to shoot? Better than the Korean surplus that's out there now?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:11pm
Various manufacturers packed ammo in spam cans. Below is a spam can of Lake City ammo.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:13pm
Would you prefer to shoot 600 rounds in a Spam Can or the Korean surplus?
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:15pm
I'm pretty sure that they were made by many different manufacturers at the time that they were in use.  Somebody with more knowledge of them will likely add or correct, but pretty sure that Lake City and Winchester made ammo that came in spam cans, as well as others.
I see them for sale fairly often and I think the ammo inside is likely great to shoot as long as no moisture got in and corroded them.  I've seen people selling partial cans that had been open and the ammo looked good to shoot.  A friend has an unopened can of M2 .30-06 ammo for the M1 Garand and I am fairly certain it will be good to shoot as the can is pristine.  I think it was made in the late 1950's or early 1960's.

Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:17pm
Wayne....did they have spam cans at any time during WWII?
Chad
USN Retired
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:20pm
If I had a sealed spam can of USGI ammo I would consider it more of a collector item and would leave it sealed. The Korean surplus shoots very well and until recently when the prices skyrocketed was a very good deal. As far as accuracy I have not noticed any difference between USGI Lake City ammo and the Korean Surplus ammo, they both shoot the same to me.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:21pm
Just my opinion.....but if I bought an unopened spam can in nice condition with a good look to it.....I'd probably want to hang onto it and never open it.  That's just me.

I'd shoot the Korean surplus ammo over opening up a spam can.  Not much, if any, collectability to Korean stuff, but there is to an unopened nice spam can.
Chad
USN Retired
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

Wayne....did they have spam cans at any time during WWII?

Yes

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 3:43pm
Spam cans also were for M2 30.06 ammo and the cans came in cool wooden boxes.
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 5:11pm
Thanks everyone. 

Interesting history.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 7:27pm
Here is a WWII one.  Now I know what those “Repacked” boxes came in.  Found this online, not mine.

I may need to get one of these.

Chad
USN Retired
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 7:35pm
Hey Donnie! I've got a wooden ammo chest just like that sitting in my basement full of .30-06 ammo in stripper clips!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 7:41pm
Neat! 

I just got this wooden crate a few months ago. The crate is so beautiful. I love the flaming bomb and the ordinance wheel. Smile

I have yet to use any of it. I bought it for my Winchester M1D. 

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 8:07pm
Dick,
The one your looking at is listed as a 800rds.
Here is a 600rd.This one sold for $800 plus 20.5% buyer fees 12-15-20, not sure about shipping and tax.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 8:49pm
Here's the King Spam of M2 ball!
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 8:57pm
520 rounds! Wow, I guess that is the king. ShockedI've never seen any of those before. I'm sure that would be expensive to purchase in today's market.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

520 rounds! Wow, I guess that is the king. ShockedI've never seen any of those before. I'm sure that would be expensive to purchase in today's market.

Right before Orest Michaels retired from CMP, they had a lot of interesting stuff they cleared out. One item was these 520 round spam cans of M2 ball. They had LC, TW, and WRA, all non-corrosive. Something like $350 or $375 IIRC. They were originally packed in crates of two but the cans were too heavy to ship by the crate so CMP sold them individually. They were going to burn the crates I think but some asked about buying them and they were posted on e-store for $10 IIRC. So I had to get one to go with my ammo of course . Very cool box with the cross cannons like yours above.
They also sold some giant 1800 round spam cans of the aluminum cased M35 .410 ammo at the south store, .10c round. Unfortunately no picture of those or the wood box they were in. I have some of the smaller 500 round cases in wooden crates, no spam can.
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 8:28am
Charlie,

The seller is in Mt. Pleasant-about 3 hours from me. Too far for me to drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply