Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NVA Soldier toting an M1 Carbine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NVA Soldier toting an M1 Carbine?
    Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 12:43pm

Not sure if anyone saw this on eBay, but thought it was interesting.

It is located in China, but sold as and reported to be a 1960's Vietnam era propaganda poster or leaflet.  I don't know whether the writing is in Chinese or Vietnamese, but looks like Chinese to me.

I thought it was interesting that what appears to be an NVA soldier is carrying an M1 Carbine and not an AK-47.  It would be nice to know what it says.  If it is, in fact, a period 1960's piece, I wonder if it was made by the Chinese to support the North Vietnamese or actually made by the Vietnamese.  Of course.....it could have been printed 2 weeks ago in China to sell on eBay.
Chad
USN Retired
French addict View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2021 at 4:44am
In the same idea, a pic seen this month in a french collectors mag. Maybe you already know it ?

This is a Warsaw Pact period picture (70's ?) of a polish army "agressors" unit acting as US Army soldiers: they are equipped with guns probably seized and sent by the NVA, the GAZ has "US like" markings, and the guy with the M2 has even blackened his face...

firstflabn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2021 at 9:16am
Rear sight on poster is prob a fake from Yalu Riverbank Armory.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2021 at 8:27pm
And the poster Carbine is probably loaded up with Chinese counterfeit LC Corrosive Ammo.

Below is a copy / paste from a Vietnam vet's post about serving in Vietnam, I'm posting in part to show how China came in to possession of and passed along many US arms to the VC - NVA.

"A lot of the carbines in use in VN were captured from the Americans in 1950 when the 1st Cav and 2ID ran the gauntlet out of N Korea when the Chinese army came across the Yalu. There were thousands of weapons and artillery, trucks, ammunition etc left behind. These weapons were sent down to the Viet Mihn in N VN. To use against the French. In 63 it would be very easy for a weapon picked up on the battlefield to be back in the hands of the good guys.

The VC were everywhere in the south. It was not uncommon to have units switch sides to avoid destruction. The best Viet fighting units were not the Viet Army, they were the hired indigenous soldiers. Mike forces etc."

"We had a large force of ROK soldiers in our camp for about 5 months. They were from the Tiger, white horse and capital divisions. They were the best troops Korea had. We paid them the same as GIs and had special rations to accommodate ROK troops. They used all US WW2 vintage weapons. They were ruthless and killed a lot of Viets out of hand. Their method was to move into a problem area and simply shoot everyone until the trouble stopped. They finally sent them home during 66. I spent a great deal of time with the Koreans. They loved Americans and loved to arm wrestle and do manly things. They were all around 5'7" large for Asian troops."

"They (ROK) left II Corps and never came back when I left in 1967. They had some serious scrapes with the Viet Marines in our area. Beach bars being shot up and unarmed Koreans being shot. The Korean General took a large armed force to the Viet base and told them that if he saw any more of them in the city he'd wipe them out. Sounds like bull, but it wasn't. Many of the Viet soldiers were recruited out of Saigon Jails and they were sloppy, poorly trained and poor troops. The Koreans were all really good soldiers, the best they had, and by the 60's there weren't too many bad Korean troops left in Korea."

"The worst would be the Viet Rangers. Undisciplined trash. There were a few good Viet troops like MIKE force guys, but regular Viet troops had no stomach for the war. Who can blame them? The Japanese, the French, the Viet Mihn, name your poison.
The VC were killers and died."

(ROK In Bold above, I added for clarity.)

Carbine in Vietnam, In a NRA article written by Tom Laemlein in 2018, it was written as many as 1.5 million carbines had been left in Vietnam.
If interested we had a pretty good discussion on it, that includes some MAP Figures, Theories and some good pictures.
There is a link to the NRA article there, but I'll add a link below incase your not interested in reading the discussion on Milsurps.

NRA / American Rifleman Article: 

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2021 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by French addict French addict wrote:

In the same idea, a pic seen this month in a french collectors mag. Maybe you already know it ?

This is a Warsaw Pact period picture (70's ?) of a polish army "agressors" unit acting as US Army soldiers: they are equipped with guns probably seized and sent by the NVA, the GAZ has "US like" markings, and the guy with the M2 has even blackened his face...

Found a post about this on a Sub Forum:

Same picture - Imgur Link:

Another picture from this same OP- Imgur link:

FWIW,
Ch-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

I don't know whether the writing is in Chinese or Vietnamese, but looks like Chinese to me.

I asked someone familiar with written languages and he confirmed its not Vietnamese. 
Unfortunately he doesn't read Chinese. 
 Post Reply Post Reply