Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Adjustable Sight Set Screw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritzg2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Adjustable Sight Set Screw
    Posted: Jan 11 2021 at 6:51pm
Greetings

Very new to this forum and have much to learn...First question is how to use the rear set screw on my adjustable rear sight.  Zeroing my rifle at 25 yards in hopes for a 100 yard zero but like other rifles with scopes once zeroed you set to Zero...Help
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 8:12am
Not exactly sure of what you mean by set-screw, but one click of windage moves the point of impact 1-inch at 100 yards. That‘s what the math says anyway. So, on a 25-yard target, one windage click should move point of impact 1/4-inch.

The carbine should print about 3/4-inches high at 25-yards for a 100 yard zero. I zero mine, count the clicks to the full-left housing wall and make a note of it. If I move the adjustment for whatever reason, I just run the windage full left then count clicks to reset my zero.

Elevation wise, you might just have to place the ramp in a position that gives you a zero without reference to the yard-marks on the ramp, otherwise you might have to file the front post or obtain a front sight with a different height post. I just set my elevation ramp to whatever setting gets me a zero and pay little attention to the yard-marks. In a combat situation you might want to calibrate the elevation, but for most purposes it can be left alone. I have one carbine with elevation set at 250 for a 25-yard target zero and another ran all way down. Just depends on the front sight post.
Fritzg2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritzg2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 8:49am
Thanks for the info...Like I said new to M1 but on the back of the rear adjustable sight and above the windage marks is a small screw...I was told that after your zero you loosen the screw and move the marks to the middle "zero" line so you always know your zero.  Also, you say that at 25 yards I should be just above center to be at POA/POA at 100 yards?

G
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Fritzg2 Fritzg2 wrote:

Thanks for the info...Like I said new to M1 but on the back of the rear adjustable sight and above the windage marks is a small screw...I was told that after your zero you loosen the screw and move the marks to the middle "zero" line so you always know your zero.  Also, you say that at 25 yards I should be just above center to be at POA/POA at 100 yards?

G

Yes, if the sliding scale will move far enough to line up the center line- that will work and is the reason it is there.
Don
Fritzg2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritzg2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 9:04am
Ok thanks but your way may be easier and less intrusive

G
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 9:18am
I happen to have a couple of commercial carbines that do not have that feature. I have a habit of just leaving the sliding plate alone and count clicks, or note exactly how many index marks left or right of the center index mark is zero for that particular carbine. Whatever works for the shooter.....works for the shooter😁.
Fritzg2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritzg2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 9:28am
Agree and thanks again for responding to my question...As stated I am very new to M1 Carbine World and absolutely love shooting it but ammo very hard to find at reasonable price and can't find any HP ammo online except for a few folks robbing the public on GunBroker

G
 Post Reply Post Reply