Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iver Johnson, gunsmith, Maryland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 7:53am
When the bolt closes on a chambered round it centers itself. The bolt cannot be pushed up since the cartridge base has it seized. One will just have to load the first round by hand to lock the bolt in position then all the ones fed from the magazine will follow.

Just a matter of how to shoot the gun. Having the issue while hand-cycling the action is aggravating, but knowing it will be reliable under fire is something else. Just never shoot loo it to empty, leave a live round in the action, reload and shoot on. I think it’s just the nature of the beast with most IJ’s or any commercial that did not have a barrel skirt. I did own a gen-1 Universal with no skirt, but it never missed a beat. The quality of the receiver obviously has something to do with it. Universal did use a forged steel receiver a lot closer to GI spec than IJ ever built.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 8:27am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

When the bolt closes on a chambered round it centers itself. The bolt cannot be pushed up since the cartridge base has it seized. One will just have to load the first round by hand to lock the bolt in position then all the ones fed from the magazine will follow.

Just a matter of how to shoot the gun. Having the issue while hand-cycling the action is aggravating, but knowing it will be reliable under fire is something else. Just never shoot loo it to empty, leave a live round in the action, reload and shoot on. I think it’s just the nature of the beast with most IJ’s or any commercial that did not have a barrel skirt. I did own a gen-1 Universal with no skirt, but it never missed a beat. The quality of the receiver obviously has something to do with it. Universal did use a forged steel receiver a lot closer to GI spec than IJ ever built.

To be clear, I'm having no issues with the carbine other than the minor aggravation of the resistance when hand cycling the bolt when the hammer is down.. The rifle runs flawlessly and is as accurate as my other carbines. I do intend to replace the soft hammer, however.
  My particular IJ is a commemorative and I'm betting those were built for looking at more than shooting. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 9:05am
Yep, some carbines are for looking-at more than shooting. I have a stainless IJ only because they are the only ones that made one close to GI spec in stainless and it shoots very well.

From personal experience, let me suggest that you not install a GI hammer behind an IJ bolt. The GI hammer will surely last an eternity (practically), but it will aggravate the destruction of a cast bolt. The commercial hammers tend to be sacrificial and lesson the bolt damage by absorbing some of the punishment. It would be better to replace the bolt and the hammer as a set. However, IJ carbines were mass head spaced to IJ bolts, which tend to run a bit longer. You might get into head space trouble changing to a GI bolt. 

I can offer another suggestion to minimize bolt and hammer damage. Hammer springs are relatively cheap. You can shorten a 26-1/2 coil spring down to 1.97” and still get solid primer strikes. You can collapse coils on each end. A slightly weaker hammer spring will both reduce the pounding on the bolt and even smooth-out the action a bit. There is a limit and you can go too far, but the spring can be adjusted.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2021 at 9:42am
@floydthecat that sounds like really good advice. Thanks so much!
armonica View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 2:44pm
So I have an update. I purchased a used IJ bolt in good shape it said. Arrived today. Greased it up a bit, wiped it off, installed it into the IJ carbine and re-assembled the rifle.
OH YEA! man OH YEA!  There is still a resistance when it tries to rotate the bolt, however it doesn't move like the old one. It's a lot more like the Inland in operation. Much tighter. I'm a lot happier with this bolt. I can't wait to take it to the range and run a bandoleer of Korean ammo though it.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 3:51pm
Does the Extractor sit 'Lower' on this bolt vs the other one?
I hope it's a good range day for you.

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123