The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2023 at 11:43am
I always look forward to your range reports. VERY nice shooting!
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

You can get a cheap one at harbor freight that will do the job for 100 yards, or you can get a much better one through Midway. A 50x will work just fine. The better scopes usually have several different lenses that allow for even greater magnification.

Based on Smokpole and MattX recommendations on lens size and magnification, I purchased an Athlon Optics Talos 20-60x80. Picked this one because Midway had it on sale and based on an on-line reviewer’s opinion it was the best low-budget spotting scope. Today I took it out to the range (overcast conditions): excellent at 100y, very good at 200 yds on paper targets. A buddy was shooting his .308 at 500 yards at steel plates - I was easily able to spot for him at this distance on fresh white paint - but pretty sure it would have been hard to impossible if it was a paper target and had discern any hits in the black. At 500 yards I didn't have it dialed all the way to 60x but a little less so as to better see the dirt fly early on in his sighting-in.

I’d recommend this spotting scope for usual carbine distances if you’re on a budget.
Thanks

T R
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2023 at 8:47am
First time shooting since the August match.
I went with position of comfort for prone.  Made some slight adjustments of my head placement and then used the same position in sustained.  
Off hand I worked on sight picture and how to regain it so its essentially the same as when in prone.  Let some distractions get in my head but otherwise did OK.  Need to practice but what can one do.

Cloudy with sprinkles.  The next relay got some rain and was pulling under the shed roof to shoot sustained and offhand when I left.  So those 4 guys had a greater challenges than those of us in the first relay.   You can see my targets are dry.
Not only is this my second best scoring total, but met my goal of decent group and no flyers.  Out of 12 competitors this landed me 2nd after match winner.  I'll take it! :)  

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2023 at 8:50am
OK Lets see if I can include the other two targets.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2023 at 6:26am
2nd place! Nice shooting, Congrats!
I nominate you as Team CCC Captain Wink

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2023 at 10:47am
LOL. Actually 3rd place.  2nd after match Winner.  Why its phrased that way I don't know.  Maybe someone here knows the history. 

Hope to encourage others.  I'm not using any special equipment.  A tool box and backpack to carry my stuff and a mat to lay on the concrete.  Scope and stand are really the only expensive items.
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2024 at 12:46pm
My last shooting, yesterday, getting ready for next week regional match. 
As we don’t use the same targets as you, I write the 7-ring size, 12 inches. The black part diameter is 15,75 inches.

200 meters, prone, with a all-mixed carbine based on an Underwood, and CamPro bullets pushed by Vitha N110. 

pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2024 at 12:57pm
And for my knowledge, what do you call « sighters » and what are the rules for the prone and prone rapid?
Our contest is based on a 200 meters shooting with
- 5mn to shoot 10 rounds, 2 mags(5 rounds each) - I guess this is your prone - and then
- 1mn to shoot 10 rounds, 2 mags again. Same kind for your « prone rapid »?

We can do at 100m when no 200m stand available, with target reduction.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2024 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by pchanu pchanu wrote:

And for my knowledge, what do you call « sighters » and what are the rules for the prone and prone rapid?

Sighters are for checking sights and aiming point before taking any scored shots.  These are optional.

Prone is laying down on the ground with no supports for the rifle or hands.  A modest pad is allowed, shooting jackets are allowed, and use of a leather sling is allowed.    
Prone slow and standing require loading one cartridge at a time, forcing the competitor to break his position for each shot. 

Sling can not be used when standing.

Prone rapid begins with all shooters standing, magazines loaded, and bolts closed on an empty chamber.  One reload is required.  For an M1 carbine and I think most of the manual bolt rifles the stage is shot with two magazines/strip clips of 5.  For an M1 Rifle its a 2 round and 8 round clip.
Originally posted by pchanu pchanu wrote:

Our contest is based on a 200 meters shooting with
- 5mn to shoot 10 rounds, 2 mags(5 rounds each) - I guess this is your prone - and then
- 1mn to shoot 10 rounds, 2 mags again. Same kind for your « prone rapid »?

We can do at 100m when no 200m stand available, with target reduction.

Very similar but your score rings are closer together.
 Where I shoot we used the reduced target (SR-1) because its only 100 yards.   The standard SR target is used at 200 yards.
The bullseye of the SR is 13" in diameter  (includes the 9 ring)
The bullseye of the SR-1 is 6.35" in diameter (includes 9 ring)

There are two courses of fire for the As-issued service rifle matches.  We shoot the ‘A" course consisting of 30 scored shots.  The ‘B’ Course adds 10 more prone slow and 10 from sitting or kneeling in 70 seconds.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2024 at 9:16pm
let's see if we can get fancy here.
One of the guys said I could share his videos showing the rapid prone.

pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2024 at 2:03am
Ok! Thanks Matt!! I will have to try that rapid one!!

Also pad, USMC-type jacket and slings allowed
And we have the same thing for Garand users, 2+8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567