The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New M1 Inland Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New M1 Inland Member
    Posted: Dec 28 2020 at 1:59pm
Originally posted in Collectors forum by mistake. The "flaming bomb" and "excessive Head space" questions received a reply from member GotSnlB28.  Thanks Got28. Working on the Head Space answer.

Finally at age 56, I have an M1 carbine. Been waiting for one a long time. Santa was good. My wife's cousin was ready to sell his fathers M1 and she purchased it as a surprise. Inland receiver 3158405 with Inland Barrel 11-43. I wanted one with Provenance. Her Uncle was in the New York National guard from 1951-1957. No unusual stock (paint/marker) markings that would indicate NYNG asset #'s
My hours of research from all the resources you are all familiar with, tells me hat it was rebuilt by STD PROD RWH (stamp on stock) with all the mods you would expect: rear Adj. site, Bayonet  lug, M2 stock, M prime Mag release and rotary safety. Also Winchester slide and Rock-ola Bolt. I could go on as I have also gone through the Data sheet process. 

I cannot find a "flaming bomb" ordinance stamp anywhere. Does this disqualify mine from serving in WWII ? The barrel and receiver has undergone the sand blasting process as the (May 27, 1951 edition of the Cleveland Plain Dealer Pictorial Magazine) references. 

After arrival to the FFL Dealer the Gunsmith inspected it and noted "excessive Head space" however no cartridge deformation was present after firing. I do not plan to use it as a shooter per say but obviously want it safe for 20-40 rds/year.

Your comments are greatly requested.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2020 at 7:19pm
The lack of a flaming bomb means exactly nothing. You said it had an M2 stock. Very few of those ever had a flaming bomb. All military M1 carbines were built during WWII, so the probability is high that it served somewhere, either here in the states or overseas. The serial is early enough that it could well have seen foreign service. How did the dealers gunsmith check the headspace? What gauges did he use? Excess headspace in carbines is somewhat unusual. As to provenance, it may be possible to find out. You could try writing to CMP and see if it was one of their guns.  
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2020 at 7:22pm
And as far as excess headspace goes, if it isn't excessive, you might be able to find a slightly longer bolt that would "cure" the problem, if it really does exist.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
MarkM1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2020 at 9:14pm
1 reply (GotSnlB28) so far asking the same question about the gauge. Checking with Gunsmith tomorrow (Hopefully) to see if go-no-go or Field gauge was used. Good to hear about the  "flaming bomb". Lots of videos and articles seemed to place an emphasis on having it. Stock has features of an M2 potbelly stock: no Bridge, barrel channel length and (cut out) area on LH side for selector switch per this websites information. Markings STD PROD RWH with "O" in slingwell and "N" on bottom of hand grip, I'm guessing proof marking??? Not sure of the "N" as articles all mention "P" with a fancy font style or P inside a square. So far no mention of "N" has been found. 

Thanks Smokpole

Nice to here from you.
MarkM1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 4:34pm
Gunsmith said the bolt closed on the "No Go". He did not use the Field Gauge after that. He is one Crotchety old dude. Seemed rather annoyed I was even asking.  Time to find a new G-Smith if I need to.

Also CMP responded and had no record of my Serial# as their records did not Pre-date 1991 they said.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 7:52pm
Definitely needs checked with a Field Gauge. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply