The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member - Quick questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member - Quick questions
    Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 2:20pm
Good Afternoon Carbine collectors forum. First let me extend my thanks for allowing me to join this great forum. I have already learned much in the few days I have been a member from reading all the great posts (past & present). 

With that, I would like to ask 2 quick questions. 

1) I am interested in knowing if anybody has seen other carbine barrels with offset (Not centered to the front site) date and maker markings. All the carbines I own and others I have seen tend to have the markings on top and relatively centered to the F-site.  Attached is photo of an example where its offset a bit. Normally this would suggest to me that the barrel was replaced with other types of rifles but since the carbines front site location on the barrel is notched, I assume that this might be ok. Thoughts?

2) If the rec and recoil plates finish don't match or relatively close in finish does that suggest replacement of the recoil plate ?  

Thank you In advance

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 3:09pm
Welcome to the forum. Is the keyway on your barrel lined up under the center of the sight? I swear I have seen that barrel with the offset marking or one like it recently in a discussion somewhere, just can't find it right now.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
cole44 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 3:39pm
Thank you for the reply. I don't own this Carbine, its one I was looking at. It was recently for sale on one of the auction sites claiming to be untouched. I have never seen a carbine with the markings off top center that hasn't been messed with which is why I am asking the experts here :) It would appear to me that the barrel was changed at some point but that is based on my own observation.    
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 4:02pm
I knew I saw that thing before, see below link.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
cole44 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 4:25pm
Hi Wayne and Thank you so much for sharing the link to this past post. It appears my gut was correct in terms of what the seller was trying to pass this off as. Although I am no expert, I do have a few Scott Duff carbines in my collection that I can refer to for some comparison. However, I don't have an early Winchester so from that perspective I did not have something I could directly compare this to.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 5:08pm
This one doesn't pass the smell test. Stock doesn't look right. The high wood is too thick. The stock markings just don't look right. Butt plate is more worn than the rest of the carbine. The Ws stamped on all of the parts seem like they are slightly off sized from what I've seen on other Winchesters. There are just too many things that don't look quite right to me.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 6:35pm
I don't know who Cole 502 is but between this one and the one from SamTbob he's dropped 10K.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2020 at 11:25pm
It's not a Stock or Hand Guard made by Winchester.
Countless tells if you compare them to known originals. Wood Has Repro stampings.
Recoil plate screw barely caught enough threads to tighten.

Some unusual Bidding that went on and on extending the auction time ending.
Be interesting to see if any feedback is left. 

'AS IS - No refund or exchange'

Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply