Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member w/ q's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Shootin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member w/ q's
    Posted: Dec 08 2020 at 7:01pm
Hey everyone!

Looking for some answers from people that are smarter than me....

I have an early Winchester. ('42 as I recall). Naturally, it's been (well) used. The barrel crown shows cleaning rod wear.

I found an NOS WW2 Winchester marked barrel in Norway. It doesn't have import stamps since it was a replacement part, not a whole firearm, and I bought it directly from the seller in Norway.

Here's the question: Is the carbine worth more with the (assumed) original barrel? Or would it ruin the value if I replace the barrel, but still keep the original?

Thanks for the opinions!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2020 at 7:39pm
Welcome to the forum. Need more info!
Have you shot it?
What do you want out of your Carbine? Shooter or Collector?
Muzzle wear does not always equal inaccuracy.
Is your current barrel import marked?
Are the other parts on your Carbine believed to be original?
Will the new barrel match the finish of the receiver?
What is a WW2 Winchester marked barrel as far as the markings go?
An original left alone is always better than one that has been messed with.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Ben Shootin View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Shootin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2020 at 8:48pm
Welcome to the forum. 
THANKS!

Have you shot it?
Yes- it was a shooter when I bought it. I'm sure it has been through the mill prior and has stories to tell.

What do you want out of your Carbine? Shooter or Collector?
Good question. I haven't shot it in years, so probably more collector side. But it is quite fun to shoot!

Muzzle wear does not always equal inaccuracy.
It seems to effect accuracy. The crown CLEARLY has cleaning rod wear marks. I'd guess 1/4 to 1/2 the thickness of the rod in some spots.

Is your current barrel import marked? 
No. Original Winchester stampings only. I bought it used many years before import stamping was thought of.

Are the other parts on your Carbine believed to be original?
No. Well, the receiver and maybe some misc. parts. Like a lot of other service rifles, it had a mix of parts. I have bought most, if not all, the correct parts for it though. (Factory stamp and production type)

Will the new barrel match the finish of the receiver?
I will have to double check that. They are both parkerized. But, that comes in different shades.

What is a WW2 Winchester marked barrel as far as the markings go?
Same stampings as on the original barrel. Maybe I can get some pics of both posted up.

An original left alone is always better than one that has been messed with.
That's what I understood as well, but most of these weapons have been through the armory and have had parts galore replaced/upgraded after being used in 3 wars. On top of the fact that some original guns have mixed parts from the production lines and can be hard to trace the pedigree on. 

Thanks for the input!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2020 at 7:15am
is the barrel on your carbine dated? 
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2020 at 7:38am
Ben, welcome. Worth is a relative term. All things considered your Winchester is worth more to a collector as is, but may be worth more as a shooter with the supposedly better barrel. Import marked firearms tend to lower collector value. Which do you want; a collector or shooter? BTW, did you gauge the muzzle erosion on both barrels? If so, how do they compare? Any photos would be helpful. 

Lastly, if you rarely shoot your carbine, why bother changing the barrel?  Is accuracy that important on a collectible 1942 Winchester? Keep the replacement barrel as a spare.
 Post Reply Post Reply