Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feature, Inland 931 First Commando Fiji Guerillas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2020 at 5:45pm
Download added to the top of first post
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2021 at 7:50am
Great rifle and an even better story.  Was this rifle listed on GB about 6 months ago?  I seem to remember someone who claimed to have a collection from Australia up for sale.  Excellent research.  Thanks for sharing.
Retired First Sergeant, U.S. Army
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
03collector View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2021 at 2:40pm
I am new to this forum and learning a lot. But when i saw this post I almost fell off my chair. I have Inland sn. 938 and it is a twin to this carbine. The data sheet on 931 matches my carbine sn.938.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2021 at 2:43pm
Welcome to the forum 03collector, now lets see some pictures of 938.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
03collector View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2021 at 3:24pm
I will as soon as i can, should i make a new post about this carbine i don't want to hijack this post. It wouldn't be fair and im not that good at posting LOL.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2021 at 12:18am
That's an excellent report with great photos on a fantastic early Inland!   Thanks for sharing that! I enjoyed it!

Just one point, however. The early cone-type extractor plungers underwent two changes. The 90 degree cut made to the cone itself to better engage the modified extractor, AND the stem of the plunger was cut down.

Separate that early plunger from the spring, and you will see what I mean.

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Marty Black Marty Black wrote:

That's an excellent report with great photos on a fantastic early Inland!   Thanks for sharing that! I enjoyed it!

Just one point, however. The early cone-type extractor plungers underwent two changes. The 90 degree cut made to the cone itself to better engage the modified extractor, AND the stem of the plunger was cut down.

Separate that early plunger from the spring, and you will see what I mean.

Regards, Marty Black

Thank you, sir.  Here is the Inland 931 plunger separated from the spring and pictured next to a plunger with a flat cut cone.

War Baby!, page 300, shows two full cone plungers, the earliest one more rounded than the later one.  The difference is slight but I think is exhibited by the comparison of plungers from Inland 931 (with the spring) to a full cone plunger from Inland 22xxx.

HARLEY08 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARLEY08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 9:27pm
Wow 
Thanks for the pictures.
Great Carbine!

M1DB
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by 03collector 03collector wrote:

I will as soon as i can, should i make a new post about this carbine i don't want to hijack this post. It wouldn't be fair and im not that good at posting LOL.

Abel4287 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abel4287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2021 at 5:59pm
I have just acquired Inland #1652 barrel dated  6-42  I will have to compare my parts with 931's
USMC 2111
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2021 at 6:23pm
Maybe you could start another thread and post pictures of your carbine.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2021 at 8:27pm
"Hunterman" and other interested collectors: We've reported on the two different tips on the cone-type extractor plungers. One is definitely cone-tipped and the other has a flat spot at the tip. The flattening of the latter type could be caused by wear or it could be a manufacturing difference to reduce possible chipping.

The cone-type extractor plungers have always been quite rare, and we've never attempted to collect detailed data on the tips. Only factory-original carbines assembled before approximately Feb 1943 would have the Type 1 (V-notch) extractor and cone-type plunger.

This would include the following prime contractors: Inland, Winchester, Underwood, National Postal Meter and a small number of Rock-Ola and Quality Hardware carbines. We've still got a lot to learn!

The Carbine Club never conducted a study on the plungers themselves, but the change of the Type 1 Extractor to the "reworked" or "transitional" extractor, and mention of the change to the plungers were discussed in Newsletter 116, pp 3-4.

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12