The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

foreign label on stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: foreign label on stock
    Posted: Nov 06 2020 at 11:53pm
I am not as versed in M1 carbines as you all are and I have a mystery on my hands.  I recently purchased a Quality Hardware 1944 carbine with a Rockwell barrel.  It has the Underwood "U" refurb mark on the stock, but I assume it has had some foreign storage by the writing on the decal, affixed to the stock.  Has anyone seen another one of these, or have an idea about what language this might be?  The stock has no markings other than 5 4 D R stamped in the stock aperture, the "U" on the left butt stock, and a "1" stamped on the bottom of the pistol grip.  I assume this is a replacement stock of some sort.  Anyone have information on this stock?

Sheepdoc
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2020 at 6:34am
Hebrew. Israeli imports often/usually bear the serial number stamping on the stock in the position shown. If the serial numbers match, the stock is original to the carbine. If not, it’s a replacement. Correctors will often replace a stock on a Israeli import, but it’s part of the carbine’s history and maybe should be left alone.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2020 at 7:42am
The stock is most likely made for Saginaw SG in this case. Look to see if there's a SG after the R you mentioned, although I see nothing like that that's obvious.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2020 at 9:00am
Rockwell barrel ?
Don
Sheepdoc View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2020 at 9:15am
The serial number on the stock matches the gun. I forgot to mention that there is a small 50 stamped in the wood just to the left of the tang (recoil plate), but no cartouches on the right side on the stock or anything. The stock does have a lot of handling marks on it though. I will look up Hebrew, that is a good idea. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

If the serial numbers match, the stock is original to the carbine. If not, it’s a replacement.

Not necessarily "original to the carbine" rather the same stock that was on the carbine when it served in Israel, That carbine has been through a rebuild at some point. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Sheepdoc View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2020 at 7:36pm
I found someone that could read the white label on my stock in two seconds. It is Hebrew “cursive” which is not the classic Hebrew. They translated it to “Ramat Gan” reading from right to left. This translates to “Garden Heights” and it turns out that this was his home town!  It is a town of about 150,000 people just east of Tel Aviv. Apparently the Israelis have a voluntary auxiliary police force called the Civic Guard, and they are armed frequently with surplus M1 carbines. They are used for traffic control and chaperones for school groups, etc.  They go through formal training, and can keep their own guns at home, or just check them out from the armory. What a fun little side bar to the history of the “War Baby.”
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image